- Underwrite and process assigned renewal policies, which includes applying knowledge of coverage forms, rating plans and guidelines in the selection and pricing of individual risks, change requests, and open communication with internal and external customers. Ensure adequate pricing of individual risks through proper classification, Knowledge Management/Predictive Modeling, accuracy of information and adherence to company underwriting standards and philosophy. Refer all outside authority level to the appropriate level.
- Answer incoming calls from agents responding to inquiries on coverage, and making adjustments to policy information based upon prescribed authority. Conduct outbound calls and follow-up work to agents required to close out inquiry/transaction. Conduct agency visits as required.
- Work within specific authority level to quote, accept, decline, modify and renew risks within territorial assignment in accordance with accepted underwriting guidelines. Work in collaboration with Agents, AMS, team members and other departments to grow and maintain a profitable book of business.
- Provide guidance to internal and external customers regarding various underwriting information. Effectively communicate underwriting decisions and appetite to internal and external customers. Reinforce the ease of doing business with Selective by meeting or exceeding customers expectations and service quality on a consistent basis.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with the following: internal and external customers, manager, peers and agents. Communicate openly and in a timely fashion. Participate in the development of individual and team goals and work diligently to achieve them. Support all team decisions.
- Conduct continuous profit and growth analysis by territory and agency as assigned. Monitor premium retention with the use of electronic reporting tools.
- May provide CLAS coverage and system training to both internal & external customers. May provide line of business or product expertise to the department. Participate in training less experienced underwriters.
- Increase renewal premium by cross-selling additional coverage, products or services.
- Develops knowledge of industry information, products, and competitors.
- College degree preferred
- 3-5 years of commercial underwriting experience preferred
- Completion of INS; AU; or completion or pursuit of CIC; or CPCU Preferred
- Demonstrate proficiency in usage of all supplied desktop tools, including the automated underwriting and email systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers/peers.
- Ability to adapt to change as the company moves forward in its strategic vision.
- Must have valid state-issued drivers license in good standing.
Selective is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Selective maintains a drug-free workplace.
Bachelors or better.
2 years: Prior Underwriting Experience
Licenses & Certifications