Underwriting Manager (E&S)
As the Excess and Surplus Underwriting Manager you will manage the activities of underwriters within a specified Northeast Territory and coordinate their activities with internal/outside personnel and E&S Wholesale Managing General Agents. Operates within letter of authority for referral underwriting.
Location: Dresher, PA office
1. Manages, coordinates, directs and monitors activities and results of an underwriting team to obtain and ensure accurate, quality work while at the same time maintaining high production standards.
2. Schedules, prioritizes and distributes workflow of unit to ensure work is done in a timely fashion and all deadlines are met.
3. Provides guidance to General Agents and provides technical guidance and expertise to underwriters. Acts as a liaison with other supervisors or managers, branches and corporate departments with whom their unit interacts. Conducts agency visits which requires car travel of 10-15%. May be required to attend General Agent sponsored events.
4. Reviews and recommends procedural changes. Plans, supports, and implements procedural changes. Keeps current on all changes effecting unit's work production and on changes within the insurance industry. Analyzes data and/or creates unique solutions
5. Responsible for the monitoring profitability and production of the assigned team per company goals and initiatives.
6. Arbitrate problems between agents, insureds, or other departments.
7. Develops and utilizes management reports to assist in monitoring General Agents, team and individual underwriter results. May participate in General Agency training of company applications and guidelines as required.
8. Testifies in court and/or participates in the taking of depositions as needed on claims or coverage issues.
9. Participates in state pricing reviews, budget meetings or various higher level manager meetings as may be required.
10. Oversees training and development of staff. Evaluates and gives guidance to staff on an on-going basis as to their abilities and duties and makes personnel recommendations to ensure proper and optimum use of personnel.
Selective is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Selective maintains a drug-free workplace.
Travel Required Yes. 10-15% Qualifications
Excess and Surplus Lines experience College Degree 7+ years Underwriting experience Broad underwriting technical background/Commercial Lines exp. Strong verbal and written communication skills Good analytical skills Proficient with Word, excel & Outlook Must have a valid state-issued drivers license in good standing and be able to drive an automobile.
3-4 years experience in rating, inspections, and claims (preferred)
Licenses & Certifications