Management Liability Underwriting Specialist
- Gather, analyze and evaluate risk exposure through appropriate risk documentation. Adopt proactive actions and/or make proactive recommendations to improve risk profitability and retention.
- Based on understanding of the financials/ratios and additional information received build a case for each coverage part, both independent and dependent of the other parts, reasons for declining or accepting a risk.
- Apply knowledge and understanding of coverage forms, rating plans and guidelines in the selection and pricing of individual risks. Ensure adequate pricing of individual risk through proper classification, accuracy of information and adherence to company underwriting standards and philosophy.
- Work within specific authority level to quote, accept, decline, modify and renew risks within territorial assignment in accordance with accepted underwriting guidelines. Work in unison with Agents, Regional Underwriters, AMS, and other departments to grow and maintain a profitable book of business.
- Provide guidance to Agents and other departments regarding various underwriting information Effectively communicate underwriting decisions, appetite, and coverage to agents. Reinforce the ease of doing business with Selective by meeting or exceeding agent expectations and service quality on a consistent basis.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers. Communicate openly and in a timely fashion. Collaborates with the team, standard lines underwriters, Line of Business leaders, and Strategic Business Unit leaders to achieve optimum business results. Participate in the development of team goals and work diligently to achieve them.
- Produce consistent submission generation. Increase renewal premium by cross-selling additional coverage, products or services.
- Conduct continuous profit and growth analysis by territory and agency as assigned. Monitor premium retention with the use of electronic reporting tools.
- Must be able to drive an automobile to travel within territory. Car travel represents approximately 30% of employees time.
- Guide and mentor lower levels.
- College degree preferred
- 6+ years of Management Liability or Specialty Liability Lines experience
- Pursuit of Management Liability Insurance Designation Management Liability Insurance Specialist (MLIS) or Registered Professional Liability Underwriter (RPLU)
- Well-developed technical and analytical underwriting expertise and negotiation skills.
- Understands the fundamentals of coverage, terms, and conditions ability to offer coverage to generate profitability while still meeting customer needs.
- Effectively assess risks and analyze exposures and trends specific to MLI coverages
- Strong financial acumen understand financial statements/data, 5500s, 990s, and ratios used in analysis.
- Demonstrate proficiency in the usage of all supplied desktop tools; including the automated underwriting system, email, and Microsoft office suite of products.
- Effectively cultivates strong business relationships
- High degree of personal organization and time management skills.
- Display confidence and a willingness to take ownership of a request or problem.
- Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills with internal and external customers/peers.
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt to change as the company moves forward in its strategic vision.
- Demonstrate the ability to see the big picture while responding to changing conditions.
- Must have valid state-issued drivers license in good standing and be able to drive an automobile.
Selective is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Selective maintains a drug-free workplace.
Licenses & Certifications