Handles the daily service demands of our agents in support of individual and team goals and requires a thorough understanding of coverage, products, underwriting system transactions, and State specific LOB filings. Works independently within a letter of authority issued by the underwriting supervisor on assignments of moderate complexity, hazard grade, and premium.
- Underwrite and process assigned renewal policies, which includes applying knowledge of coverage forms, rating plans and guidelines in the selection and pricing of individual risks, change requests, and open communication with internal and external customers. Ensure adequate pricing of individual risks through proper classification, Knowledge Management/Predictive Modeling, accuracy of information and adherence to company underwriting standards and philosophy. Refer all outside authority level to the appropriate level.
- Answer incoming calls from agents responding to inquiries on coverage, and making adjustments to policy information based upon prescribed authority. Conduct outbound calls and follow-up work to agents required to close out inquiry/transaction.
- Work within specific authority level to quote, accept, decline, modify and renew risks within territorial assignment in accordance with accepted underwriting guidelines. Work in collaboration with Agents, AMS, team members and other departments to grow and maintain a profitable book of business.
- Provide guidance to Agents and other departments regarding various underwriting information. Effectively communicate underwriting decisions and appetite to agents. Reinforce the ease of doing business with Selective by meeting or exceeding both internal and external customers expectations and service quality on a consistent basis.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with internal and external customers. Communicate openly and in a timely fashion. Participate in the development of individual and team goals and work diligently to achieve them. Support all team decisions.
- Develop and maintain effective working relationships with manager, peers and agents. Communicate openly and in a timely fashion to team members on individual progress and share information.
- Conduct continuous profit and growth analysis by territory and agency as assigned. Monitor premium retention with the use of electronic reporting tools.
- Conduct agency visits as required.
- May provide CLAS coverage and system training to both internal and external customers.
- Develops knowledge of industry information, products, and competitors.
- College degree preferred
- 1-3 years of commercial underwriting experience preferred
- Demonstrate proficiency in usage of all supplied desktop tools, including the automated underwriting and email systems.
- Ability to effectively communicate with internal and external customers/peers.
- Ability to adapt to change as the company moves forward in its strategic vision.
- Must have valid state-issued drivers license in good standing.
Selective is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Selective maintains a drug-free workplace.
Bachelors or better.
1 year: 1-3 years of commercial underwriting experience preferred
Licenses & Certifications