Subrogation Trial Attorney (Hamilton, NJ)
Selective is seeking a Subrogation Trial Attorney with at least 5 years experience in handling subrogation claims for the Subrogation staff counsel office in Hamilton, New Jersey. The position requires a licensed attorney in New Jersey and New York. The job entails handling a large volume auto subrogation caseload predominantly in New Jersey and downstate New York. The position will also include handling of larger property damage subrogation cases throughout New Jersey and downstate New York, including the direction of investigation and litigation of such claims. Trial experience helpful.
- Dictates/prepares pleadings, motions, briefs, letters, memoranda, reports, articles, etc. using the Companys legal case management software, dictation and voice recognition equipment.
- Engages in various forms of paper discovery practice and conducts depositions and other pre-trial examinations.
- Communicates with and regularly updates the client and claims personnel regarding the status of pending matters. Communicates with opposing counsel, the courts and others as needed.
- Researches issues using Westlaw, Lexis and other computer/web based data sources, as well as using legal treatises, law reporters and other library materials.
- Provides support services to claims, underwriting and other adjunct departments in the form of legal opinions, recommendations and digests of recent developments in decisional and statutory law.
- Controls and directs clerical activity, in accordance with office protocol, necessary to support function of position.
- Reports to managing attorney concerning status of matters and provides other information as requested.
- Tries cases to conclusion before judges, juries and other triers of fact.
- Travels to depositions, court appearances, claims and client meetings, and other events as necessary. Car travel represents approximately 20% of employees time.
- Engages in other activity as directed by the managing attorney.
- Juris Doctor degree from ABA accredited law school required. Member in good standing of the Bar of the jurisdiction required.
- At least 5 years legal experience in the jurisdiction required (New Jersey and New York).
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Outlook, Explorer Typing skill, Legal case management software experience preferred.
- Excellent customer service, writing and oral communication skills.
- Must have detailed knowledge of the business unit and industry.
- Must have valid state-issued drivers license in good standing.
Selective is an equal opportunity employer. Selective maintains a drug-free workplace. #diversity #womenleadership
Travel Required Yes. 20% Qualifications
Licenses & Certifications