Safety Management Specialist- Iowa
- For each of the major Lines of Businesses provided, evaluate the operations of larger and moderately complex commercial accounts to assess the level of risk and identify potential loss producing conditions and practices for each of the major Lines of Businesses provided to such customers as well as the presence and effectiveness of controls.
- Consult with underwriters on the conditions identified and completes written risk assessments in accordance with internal quality assessment guidelines.
- Analyze the loss history of accounts to identify loss sources, trends in accident frequency and severity, reach meaningful conclusions from the analyses, and provide a clear summary of those analyses to customers, agents, and underwriters. When applicable, develop effective risk reduction recommendations and/or ongoing risk management objectives.
- Provide ongoing risk management services for customers in need of risk management support and strive to ensure customers level of risk is being adequately managed.
- Develop effective and ongoing communication with internal business partners and agents to ensure the conveyance of timely information for new and renewal business opportunities as well as consultative communication with customers. Prepare professionally written business letters to communicate activities to external customers and agents including managing recommendations developed and submitted to reduce and manage the level of risk.
Efficiently manage work scheduling in order to meet both internal and external customer needs.
Prepare and present moderate level technical presentations and risk management training programs to internal and external customers on a variety of risk management topics and issues.
- Familiar with risk management techniques and technology, earns and maintains designations through self-education and training programs. This includes the application of nationally recognized codes and standards as well as appropriate state regulations in reducing the level of risk for customers.
- Participate in training and mentoring of less experienced team members.
- Must be able to drive an automobile to travel within territory. Car travel represents approximately 60-70% of employees time and a valid drivers license.
College degree is preferred.
Successful completion of INS 21 (Property and Liability Insurance Principles) and INS 23 (Commercial Insurance) is desired.
A proficiency in assessing and managing risk developed through 5+ years of ample field based risk management experience preferred. Thorough problem solving abilities along with ability to apply OSHA, NFPA and other applicable technical standards. Risk evaluation and assessment techniques of various exposures and controls by established line of business.
- Ability to travel and meet with customers and agents to assess and maintain risk.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers and agents and encourage the implementation of risk management strategies to reduce the level of risk and the potential for loss.
- Must be able to build effective business partnerships with internal team members and agents.
- Must have valid state-issued drivers license in good standing and be able to drive an automobile.
- Demonstrate a proficiency in usage of computer tools including: Internet research applications, Microsoft Office, work management system, eSelect tools, Cognos reports, etc.
Selective is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Selective maintains a drug-free workplace.
Travel Required Yes. Qualifications
Bachelors or better.
Licenses & Certifications