Taking care of our customers, our communities and each other. That's the Travelers Promise. By honoring this commitment, we have maintained our reputation as one of the best property casualty insurers in the industry for over 160 years. Join us to discover a culture that is rooted in innovation and thrives on collaboration. Imagine loving what you do and where you do it.
Job Description SummaryAssume leadership role by leading training, technical, operational and customer support projects. Effectively manage any assigned claims, typically of higher severity or complexity including setting negotiation and trial strategy on assigned accounts and across the book where handled by others. Support business by being a technical and strategic resource to resolve claims, build and maintain productive relationships with claim personnel, underwriters, agents, and brokers. Interact and collaborate with colleagues and other critical internal/external business associates.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Within authority limit, independently analyse, and help support, investigate, negotiate and resolve highest severity and/or most complex claims.
- Qualify for and utilise highest level of claim authority based on expertise.
- Make appropriate recommendations to management when necessary.
- Work closely with management to develop procedures, policies and objectives.
- Ensure that all policies and procedures, including compliance, regulatory, performance and customer service standards are met or exceeded.
- Be accountable for accurate documentation/information in claim file and claim management systems and adhere to documentation standards (i.e. coverage analysis, reserve and settlement rationale, current diary).
- Prepare reports (e.g. Monthly BRP packs , local trend analysis, Large Loss Memos, quarterly claim, EC, trial, class action) for management, U.S reporting that accurately reflect loss development, potential/actual financial exposure, coverage issues, and claim and recovery strategies.
- Coordinate completion and submission of broker tender documents as required
- Within authority limit, retain, monitor, manage and approve payments to outside counsel as required. Collaborate with Claim Legal, Large Loss U.S BSI function to set litigation strategy consistent with business objectives, actively utilizing litigation management plans and budgets
- Working with Large Loss as required and assist claims handlers consistently apply superior negotiating skills and expertise to drive terms and conditions consistent with business standards and claim resolutions strategy, including when the matter is in litigation.
- Support and work alongside Large Loss to communicate large reserve adjustments, high-exposure/high sensitivity losses, with focus on claim trends, legal decisions and issues which may impact product line to both claim and underwriting management.
- Support the mentoring of less experienced colleagues in developing and implementing claim resolution strategies.
- Recognize issues with broader implications to business unit and Travelers and communicate to stakeholders and Claims Management
- Represent claim unit in strategic initiatives (or lead such projects).
- Maintain knowledge of coverage, law, legislative and industry-related initiatives and judicial trends.
- Degree level education.
- Fully qualified UK lawyer or barrister.
- Significant PQE+
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- Solid experience of professional lines coverage / defence work.
- Substantial experience working in the insurance market or at solicitors practice, chambers involved in insurance matters.
- an experienced litigator who has experience in development of trial strategy and negotiation of complex claims worked in either /or UK or USA jurisdictions.
- Dual qualified U.S lawyer advantageous
Licensing or Certificates
- Current relevant practicing certificates
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer. We value the unique abilities and talents each individual brings to our organization and recognize that we benefit in numerous ways from our differences.
If you have questions regarding the physical requirements of this role, please send us an email so we may assist you.
Travelers reserves the right to fill this position at a level above or below the level included in this posting.