Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Job Description SummaryUnder moderate supervision, participate in audits and compliance reviews of various company business functions. Identify risks and controls, execute specific testing procedures, and document results and conclusions reached. Follow department methodology and assist in development of written issues and recommendations for the business. This job does not manage others.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Participates in audits and Sarbanes-Oxley compliance reviews of various company business functions, incorporating an understanding of business processes, risk assessment techniques, GAAP and statutory accounting principles, and generally accepted accounting standards.
- Identifies risks and tests controls associated with financial integrity, operational effectiveness, compliance with rules and regulations, and system and data integrity.
- Develops audit plans, programs and specific tests to evaluate control areas.
- Analyzes findings and test results and arrives at sound fact-based conclusions and appropriate recommendations for problem areas noted.
- Prepares documentation in adherence to internal audit professional standards, best practices and Corporate Audit's methodology.
- Contributes to the preparation of audit reports including recommendations for improvement.
- Assists in training and developing others in audit, risk assessment techniques, and accounting principles.
- Acts as a lead reviewer on smaller, less complex audits.
- Performs regular business monitoring of Traveler's business functions by maintaining ongoing relationships with key members of business management, attending meetings and reviewing documentation.
- Monitors the status of existing corrective actions and schedules validation of completed corrective actions.
- Consistently adheres to internal audit professional standards, best practices and Corporate Audit's methodology.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- BA/BS in business-related field.
Education, Work Experience, & Knowledge
- 3+ years of work experience in either audit or property casualty business.
- Working knowledge of risk assessment, accounting, and auditing principles.
Licensing or Certificates
- Certified Public Accountant or Certified Internal Auditor.
Job Specific Technical Skills & Competencies
- Basic understanding of the relationships between financial, operational and technology risks and controls as well as the insurance industry.
- Intermediate knowledge of Sarbanes-Oxley requirements.
- Intermediate understanding of the audit cycle, universe, plan and schedule, including business monitoring and SOX validation.
- Advanced skills with commonly used office software including: MS Office, email and the Internet.
- Ability to leverage CAATs to improve audit test efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Ability to plan ahead and organize tasks, manage time well, be on time and be cost conscious.
- Ability to receive feedback, willingness to learn and ability to embrace continuous improvement.
- Ability to demonstrate effective verbal, written and listening communication skills.
- Ability to articulate messages to business management through formal and informal presentations.
- Ability to write and edit clear and concise work papers and reports.
- Ability to build productive working relationships with co-workers, business management and external parties.
- Ability to collaborate in situations when actions are interdependent and a team is mutually responsible to produce a result.
- Maintains smooth, effective working relationships; promotes effective teamwork.
Environmental / Work Schedules / Other
- 1 Operates standard office equipment (Continuously)
- 1 Sitting (can stand at will) (Continuously)
- 1 Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key (Continuously)
Equal Employment Opportunity StatementTravelers is an equal opportunity employer.