Manager, Data Management Engineering
Advance your Information Technology (IT) career at Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company.
Are you looking for an opportunity where you can play a key role helping to guide and foster the transformation of one of the largest industries in the world? Are you passionate about the data management space including cloud data and tool management, data catalog, data governance / quality, and data security? Do you believe that building trust through empathy and openness is essential to success in the evolving the data landscape? Are you a proactive and passionate team leader, able to lead discussion with engineers, managers, executives, and product owners to build consensus?
The Liberty Mutual US Data & Analytics Engineering (DAE) team is seeking a passionate data practitioner and leader as Manager, Data Management Engineering. This leader has a passion for building a team to ensure efficient and effective management and deployment of cloud data solutions, data platforms and data tooling. This team leader will inspire the team to build solutions that proactively manage and monitor the data ecosystem of analytics, data lakes, warehouses and MDM platforms and tools. You will work within the Data and Analytics Engineering group within Global Retail Markets (GRM) US Technology. You will be central to the effective running and sustainment of all GRM US data platforms and tools including petabytes of data, thousands of daily jobs, and numerous cloud an on-premise data tools and technologies.
In this role, you would
- Create strong partnership with Product Owners and leadership for Data Management technologies ensuring effective data platform and tools management.
- Provide servant leadership to a team of talented data professionals scrum masters, administrators, engineers and technologists to motivate to work as one data team across the business and technology.
- Serve as a key leader for our data transformation initiative from on-premise to cloud data technologies.
- Build strong and measurable processes, tools and engineered data management solutions to support all data platforms such as data warehouse, lakes, reporting / BI tools, data science, data catalog, data virtualization etc.
- Devise metric-based Data Management tools or processes including protecting data as an asset (security, compliance, audit, etc.), data quality and governance, central monitoring of data jobs / processes, data cataloging etc.
- Create an exciting technology team with a fun work environment and customer-focused culture with high standards of achievement.
- Be an evangelist across Data and Analytics Engineering department for Agile practices, data quality and overall security, stable, reliable systems and engineering excellence.
- Support and contribute to plans for retirement of data and application technical debt.
- Lead Data and Analytics Engineering team on any enterprise initiatives such as data center migration, coordination of software/hardware upgrades.
- Ensure aligned release management, CICD and test automation functions
- Drive team to mature and scaled agile processes, consistent metrics and efficient processes
- Ensure ITIL best practices are developed for and build collaborative relationships with IT technology peers in the area IT Operations and GRM US Engineering Enablement and Operations (EE&O) teams to ensure solutions alignment and partnership
- Devise talent strategy for team identifying resource gaps or inefficiencies, build hiring plan, promotions and performance managed are planned and consistent with needs and vision of department.
- Define individual performance objectives and development plans and ensure alignment with project and department objectives.
- Establish financial plan for department and manage to plan.
This role might be for you if you have
Bachelor's or masters degree in technical or business discipline or related experience
Proactive leadership skills with five (5) or more years people leadership experience.
Ten (10) or more years hands-on experience effectively managing data platforms, BI / reporting tools, integration / ETL tools and/or data management tools (e.g. Informatica, Teradata, Goldengate, Snaplogic, SAS, MicroStrategy, Power BI, Qlik Replicate).
Working knowledge of one or more Data Management tools (e.g. DQM, data governance, metadata management, data catalog or related tools).
Depth in vendor management, offshore teams and staffing expertise.
A bar-raiser mentality and are driven to motivate and lead teams to achieve great things.
Passion for operational efficiency, quantitative performance metrics and process orientation.
Depth of knowledge in operationalizing data governance and providing measurable DQM.
Working knowledge of project planning methodologies, IT standards and guidelines.
Customer passion, business focus and the ability to negotiate, facilitate and build consensus.
The ability to promote a team environment across a large set of separate agile teams and stakeholders.
Strong team management, financial / budget management, organizational, communication and presentation skills.
Not required, but great if you have
Cloud data platform or integration tools such as Snowflake or Snaplogic
Experience with Teradata, Informatica, Power BI, Tableau and/or MicroStrategy
Experience with Data Management tools such as Alation, Informatica (IDQ), Collibra etc.
Experience with ITSM tools such as Service Now, Remedy
Experience with AWS data lake technologies S3, EMR, Athena, Glacier.
Experience with data virtualization technologies Denodo
Certifications in Agile development methodologies or PMP
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, its our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
Liberty Mutual is an equal opportunity employer. We embrace an environment that is free from all discrimination in the workplace, in its business, or by its vendors. Liberty Mutual values diversity and the differences and similarities of our employees. We foster a diverse and inclusive work environment that leads to better ideas, stronger teams and more innovative products and services for our customers. Learn more