Catastrophe Claims Supervisor
At Seibels, we believe our people are our most important asset. They are the driving force behind our mission and the reason we are able to provide best-in-class services to the property and casualty insurance industry. Our culture is founded upon four core values: collaboration, accountability, respect, and transparency. Upholding this culture and embodying it in all that we do is paramount to the organization and its success.
We want our team members to have a passion for work, and share a thirst for knowledge and a hunger for learning more. If this sounds interesting to you, we look forward to receiving your application.
The Catastrophe Claims Supervisor manages a team of catastrophe claims examiners communicating clear performance objectives, evaluating work product, coaching pro-actively, and completing quality file reviews with emphasis on compliance with established guidelines. This individual is responsible for ensuring prompt, effective, courteous claim handling is always provided to policyholders and claimants and calls are returned promptly. The Catastrophe Claims Supervisor monitors and coordinates our after- hour phone service.
- Claim Assignment - Reviews and/or assigns new claims to Claim Examiners based on the severity of the claim and the experience level of the involved team member. Reviews policy information to determine if coverage is applicable and in force on new claims. Makes recommendations to the Claim Manager and assists in the resolution of coverage issues when needed.
- Manages Customer Contact: Ensures timely and professional contact is made with insureds, claimants, agents, and other parties, including prompt return of phone calls by direct reports. Handles escalated and problematic calls requiring manager involvement. Provides coaching on phone etiquette and resolution to direct reports as necessary.
- Claim Handling - Directs and provides guidance and technical expertise to Claim Examiners in gathering the information necessary to ensure fair and prompt resolution of claims. Evaluates claims on an ongoing basis and makes recommendations for further task assignments as needed to facilitate final claim disposition. Delegates authority to Claim Examiners as warranted. Ensures that investigations are conducted, and claims are concluded within the appropriate standard, as defined by appropriate guidelines.
- Diary and File Review - Maintains a current diary on all claims with exposure over authority of claim examiners or otherwise requiring ongoing supervision to ensure timely and accurate reserving, payments, and file resolution to ensure valid settlements are made according to company practices and guidelines. Keeps current Diary, Workplans, and Activities via the Guidewire Claims System. Ensures examiner Activities in Guidewire are current prior to authority approval and/or escalation to the customer.
- Reporting – Provides input and leadership in planning, evaluating strategies, gathering and analyzing data to ensure accurate reports are escalated to the customer on cases excess of office authority. Participates and provides guidance in claim committee meetings.
- Negotiations and Settlement: Reviews and approves authority requests excess examiner authority for negotiation and settlement of claims with policyholders, claimants, public adjusters, attorneys, AOB and other vendors.
- Training - Assists in identifying training needs of team members. Aids in the development, administration, and evaluation of training programs.
- Special Tasks and Projects - Lends assistance with special tasks and projects, as necessary.
- Extended hours and work weeks required during and after catastrophic claims events.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Minimum of 10 years P&C (Property & Casualty) claims handling experience
- Minimum of 5 years Claims Supervisory experience
- Adjusters license is required
- Insurance certificates, courses, or professional designations are a plus.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.