Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The primary function of this senior level Data Architect position is to provide architectural guidance, technological recommendations and transition strategies that support the development and implementation of data warehousing and analytical reporting initiatives while also providing hands-on consultation and modeling experience to other large initiatives within the Bond/IT space. Focus is on the development of an end to end information architecture and strategy, playing a lead role on projects by providing the appropriate data architecture solutions and ensuring alignment with the overall data management strategies.
- Define Bond data architecture vision, strategy, principles and standards; get buy-in from stake-holders, management, business partners, and propagate throughout the division based on corporate guidelines and procedures.
- Provide framework, stewardship, governance and decision making for management of data for project development teams, business users and other stake-holders.
- Serve as an expert resource on matters of data architecture to business and IT staff in all phases of data warehouse and data mart development, implementation and support.
- Provide guidance to development application areas by applying knowledge of data warehouse design, extract-transform-load (ETL) design and development.
- Balance short-term versus long-term actions, strategic versus tactical requirements, while continuing to move forward towards the strategic vision. Establish an architecture roadmap covering transactional, operational and business intelligence. Ensure architectural adherence through blueprint and design reviews.
- Incorporate into Bond the enterprise data management methodology and standards for data modeling and data architecture.
- Create appropriate standards, processes and tools to promote and facilitate:
- Designing the movement of data through the enterprise:
- Focus on data quality:
- Provide consulting support for the roll-out of meta-data management processes and tools.
- Research and document information architecture standards and best practices.
- Define meta-data checklists and requirements to be met at the project level and to be included in project plans.
- Management of the relationship with project teams using / implementing meta-data management processes.
- Provide support on use of common enterprise information models and promote their use and enhancement by new projects.
Bachelor's degree in a related field preferred. 2 years of product/project management and/or Software Development Life Cycle preferred.
Technical Knowledge: Has master level knowledge of multiple programming disciplines and a thorough understanding of the business that the assigned projects are supporting. Uses this understanding of the business and systems environment to develop appropriate and timely solutions to daily issues. Has conceptual knowledge of varying technologies and the ability to make decisions based on that knowledge. Problem Solving & Decision Making: Demonstrates sound analytic and diagnostic skills dealing with issues that are loosely defined and/or where information is available but must be further manipulated. Once decisions are made, is able to follow and direct action to implement intended results. Breaks a problem down to manageable pieces and implements effective, timely solutions. Openly and directly confronts conflict until resolved. Knows how to execute to get things done. Able to perform credible analyses. Uses sound judgment and reasoning to draw conclusions leading to the selection of the best solution from a review of the alternatives. Effectively assesses short-term implications of decisions and understands the impact on the department and business unit(s) supported. Team Orientation: Builds relationships with peers and other departments to achieve objectives, to work as one team and to secure necessary resources not under his/her personal control. Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Puts success of team above own interest. Self-Management: Supports a distinct business unit or several smaller functions. Responsibilities are assigned with some latitude for setting priorities and decision-making using established policies and procedures. Results are reviewed with next level manager for clarification and direction before proceeding Commitment to Quality Result: Creates an atmosphere where business partner's issues are dealt with professionally, and in a timely manner. Suggests solutions that make sense and optimize the value of assigned projects. Communicates openly and effectively in a manner consistent with the audience. Recognizes the importance of superior quality in providing a competitive edge. Ensures that reports are precise, timely and accurate. Planning and Project Management: Works with the project manager/manager in identifying those project tasks that are most important, establishes clear priorities and understands the larger picture. Anticipates and effectively responds to changes in workload and resources Financial Awareness: Understands, has input to the budget process, and shares responsibility for cost-effective expense control of assigned projects. Is responsible for important and confidential information.
High School diploma or equivalent required. 1 year of technology related experience required.
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.