Claim Examiner - Commercial Lines Auto & General Liability
In this role, you will handle mid to high complexity Commercial Auto and General Liability claims. This includes direct investigation of the facts of the loss, evaluation of damages, coverage and liability and negotiation of claims to a proper conclusion. You will be involved with complex litigated files.
- Determines policy status and coverage; reviews appropriate policies and endorsements for coverage, limits and deductibles; immediately notify manager of any claim that may be outside of assigned scope of handling level or authority.
- Makes prompt contact with policyholders, claimants, witnesses, and other parties involved in the loss to set expectations, develop an action plan and perform an initial exposure assessment.
- Conducts investigation to determine coverage, liability and damages, including recorded statements and coordination of field inspections or experts when necessary.
- Ensures regular and timely follow-up and brings claims to prompt and appropriate conclusion while keeping the customer informed throughout the life cycle of the claim process.
- Presentation of high exposure claims to the Large Loss Committee
- Maintains electronic records that accurately and thoroughly document all file handling activity.
- May be called upon to perform additional duties as directed.
- Minimum Experience/Education:
- Minimum of 10-years of related professional experience.Post-secondary education preferred. Maintains adjuster licensure in all operating states or obtain within 90 days of employment. Demonstrating a consistently increasing level of technical proficiency. Exhibiting a positive trend of service related feedback in previous role.
Communication and Collaboration Skills:
Professional oral and written communication skills are critical to the success of this position. All claims service must be handled with tact, diplomacy and courtesy at all times.
Must be able to collaborate and develop strong team relationships with associates from within and outside the Claims Department.
Must have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of insurance policies and endorsements, as well as the ability to understand complex documents, contracts, and other legal documents.
Gather facts and draw conclusions, interpret complex requirements/issues and work independently. The individual must be able to identify and implement key opportunities while researching potential solutions.
State Auto offers a competitive salary, an annual bonus program, an excellent benefits program including medical, dental, vision and prescription insurance coverage, life insurance, matching 401(k) plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition assistance, and a stock purchase plan.
State Auto is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all associates and applicants and to providing associates with a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions (hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and work assignments) are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. State Auto will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
State Auto is a smoke-free work environment. We utilize drug screening and background checks as conditions of employment. For all exempt positions we also obtain motor vehicle reports (MVR s).
State Auto will not accept candidates from third-party recruiters without a signed agreement with State Auto.