Underwriter - Contract Binding Property & Casualty
Evaluate, analyze and price risk associated with commercial property and casualty coverage submitted from network of contract binding MGAs.
- Determine the acceptability, quality and profitability of new and existing accounts based on company underwriting guidelines and objectives.
- Develop insurance proposals with appropriate pricing information, classification, limits, terms and forms and obtain management approval where required.
- Ensure underwriting and service standards are met on assigned accounts.
- Meet with assigned MGAs in assigned territory to discuss company risk appetite, solicit new business opportunities, promote other lines of business written by company, develop information on competitor companies and attend required industry events.
- Contributes to the development of underwriters, underwriter assistants, marketing plans, product analysis, services, geographic focus and market/broker intelligence.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with other members of the team to broaden knowledge of the product line and/or technical knowledge of pricing.
- Perform related duties as required by Underwriting Guidelines and as requested such as report preparation, presentations and special projects as assigned.
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university; or 5-10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Extensive knowledge of commercial casualty products, insurance operations, finance and actuarial concepts, regulatory environment, reinsurance, account management, underwriting and producer management.
- Experience growing and managing a book of business and demonstrated ability to build MGA relationships and network.
- Demonstrate excellent communication, marketing skills and superior customer service.
- Detail oriented with the ability to work in a team environment and be flexible to daily changing needs and job duties.
- Ability to understand other lines of business of company, promote other lines of business and the company brand.
- Good organization and effective time management.
- Self-motivated and independent.
- Strong working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Access and other related software packages.
- Knowledge base supported by participation in continuing education such as ASLI, Are, CPCU, CIC and other industry supported seminars.