Auto Claim Adjuster
In this role you will handle low to mid-range complexity auto claims. That will include direct investigation of the facts of loss, evaluation of coverages, damages, liability, and negotiation of claims to a proper conclusion. you may also be involved with litigated files for experience and developmental purposes.
- Determines policy status and coverage; reviews appropriate policies and endorsements for coverage, limits, and deductibles; immediately notify manager of any claim that may be outside of assigned scope of handling, level, or authority.
- Makes prompt contact with policyholders, claimants, witnesses, and other parties involved in the loss to set expectations, develop an action plan, and perform an initial exposure assessment.
- Conducts an investigation to determine coverage, liability, and damages, including recorded statements and coordination of field inspections or experts when necessary based on Department Best Practices.
- Ensures regular and timely follow-up and brings claims to prompt and appropriate conclusion while keeping the customer informed throughout the life cycle of the claim process.
- Maintains electronic records that accurately and thoroughly document all file handling activity.
- Overnight travel may be required.
- May be called upon to perform additional duties as directed.
Key Responsibilities Personal Auto:
- Handles moderately complex auto claims involving coverage and liability investigations.
- Controls expenses by determining best method of inspections. Oversees repair process and rental.
- May settle small bodily injury claims.
Key Responsibilities Commercial Auto:
- 1+ year of Commercial Auto Claims Handling Experience.
- Handles moderately complex claims involving coverage, liability issues, and moderate damages as defined by Department processes and procedures.
- May handle small Bodily Injury settlements.
- Entry level to three years of professional experience. Previous experience within the insurance or financial services industries is preferred.
- Post-secondary education preferred.
- Current adjuster licensure or the ability to obtain within 90 days of hire.
- Basic typing and computer skills along with Microsoft and Google application experience very helpful.
Communication and Collaboration Skills:
- Professional oral and written communication skills are critical to the success of this position. All claims service must be handled with tact, diplomacy and courtesy at all times.
- Must be able to collaborate and develop strong team relationships with associates from within and outside the Claims Department.
- Customer centric with exceptional customer service skills.
- Must have comprehensive knowledge and understanding of insurance policies and endorsements, as well as the ability to understand complex documents, contracts, and other legal documents.
- Gather facts and draw conclusions, interpret complex requirements/issues and work independently. The individual must be able to identify and implement key opportunities while researching potential solutions.
State Auto offers a competitive salary, an annual bonus program, an excellent benefits program including medical, dental, vision and prescription insurance coverage, life insurance, matching 401(k) plan, flexible spending accounts, tuition assistance, and a stock purchase plan.
State Auto is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all associates and applicants and to providing associates with a work environment that is free from discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions (hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and work assignments) are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, citizenship status, military status, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws. State Auto will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics.
State Auto is a smoke-free work environment. We utilize drug screening and background checks as conditions of employment. For all exempt positions we also obtain motor vehicle reports (MVR s).
State Auto will not accept candidates from third-party recruiters without a signed agreement with State Auto.