Berkshire Hathaway GUARD Insurance Companies is seeking a SQL Expert with a flair for code optimization and a passion for coaching other developers.
GUARD’s business is growing at a fantastic rate, and our technology team is growing as well! We are constantly adding more features to our in-house custom software package. We are looking for a SQL Expert who can examine T-SQL code and design, optimize it, and teach developers how to optimize for themselves and take their skills to the next level.
GUARD’s software is all developed by internal teams and runs on a strong, current technology platform that includes:
- Microsoft SQL Server 2016 Enterprise
- SQL Server Analysis Services
- NET C# MVC
- Microsoft IIS Web Server
- Have a deep and demonstrable knowledge of Microsoft SQL Server programming
- Experience with large and rapidly growing databases is a plus
- Be familiar with performance tools such as profiler or extended events sessions
- Familiarity with performance measurement tools such as Solarwinds DPA or SQL Sentry
- Be able to discuss the pros and cons of using different SQL Server engine features, such as constraints, foreign keys, etc
- Be familiar with common table expressions and other advanced T-SQL programming constructs
- Be prepared to discuss the pros and cons of using various SQL Server features, such as triggers, user defined functions, table valued functions, XML, isolation levels, and others
- Be prepared to debate, defend, and measure the performance differences amongst different approaches in order to determine the best one
- Demonstrate the ability to construct an efficient approach to query complex tables with hundreds of millions of rows
- Reviewing existing code and either implementing changes or making recommendations for improvement
- Consulting with developers in terms of table design, index creation, and writing efficient SQL code
- Creating and documenting standards that can be guides for developers when writing SQL Code
- Code review for new projects, to identify gaps in developer knowledge so as determine the best focus for your efforts
- Doing all of the above clearly and tactfully, with an eye towards enhancing the system and skills of its developers
- Data Warehousing and Business Intelligence Reporting
- Redesign inefficient or outdated processes
Why join are team?
- Paid holiday, vacation, and sick time
- Competitive health care package (medical, dental, vision, etc.)
- Award-winning “wellness” program
- 401(k) and profit sharing plan
- Longevity award (company-sponsored vacation after each five years of employment)
- Tuition reimbursement
- On-site training
- A family friendly environment
- Job postings for available positions and a practice of promoting from within the company
- A business casual dress code
- Several forums for employees to participate in a range of community-service activities.
- Paid life insurance and disability coverage
- Be part of Berkshire Hathaway, one of the world's most admired companies. We offer opportunities to advance your career!