Underwriting Assistant / Senior Underwriting Assistant
Nonprofits Insurance Alliance is a group of 501(c)(3) nonprofit, tax-exempt insurers whose purpose is to serve 501(c)(3) tax-exempt nonprofit organizations by providing a stable source of reasonably priced liability insurance tailored to the specialized needs of the nonprofit sector and to assist these organizations to develop and implement successful loss control and risk management programs.
Under the supervision of the Underwriter Manager, and within guidelines established in the NIAC/ANI underwriting manual, the Underwriting Assistant/Senior Underwriting Assistant provides technical and clerical assistance to the Underwriters in the areas of application entry, rating, preparing quotes, renewal underwriting, issuing policies, marketing, and interacting with brokers. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required but are not all inclusive.
This position works out of the main office in Santa Cruz, CA or can be a remote, work from home position based in the Pacific and Mountain time zones. Prior experience working remotely from a home office 100% of the time is required if the candidate elects to work remote.
- A personal commitment to providing Inspired Service in every internal and external client engagement
- Provide customer service by responding promptly and courteously to all requests for information
- Effectively communicate company standards, mission, underwriting guidelines, and requirements to brokers and/or members.
- Process incoming new applications.
- Accurately issue new and renewal policies.
- Order and review of inspection reports.
- Process endorsements within authority level. Refer any endorsements exceeding authority to Underwriter.
- Process renewal quotes for multiline policies up to $25,000 in premium (this might be higher for the Senior position). Refer any quotes exceeding authority to underwriter.
- Training/Mentoring: Provides training and mentoring for other members of the Insurance Operations team when required.
- Develops amicable working relationships with underwriters/agents and handles some agent special service requests.
- Provide assistance and make inquiry of brokers regarding endorsements and renewals.
- Rate all lines of new business and renewal business as directed by underwriter.
- Process broker and member information changes such as address changes, phone, email, etc.
- Provide accurate documentation in the file and/or in electronic notes of underwriting thought process.
- Miscellaneous tasks – Any and all assignments related to the insurance operations department as requested by the Underwriting Supervisor or Vice President of Insurance Operations.
- Must possess a moderate understanding of property and casualty insurance coverages; familiarity with ISO commercial class codes is required.
- Knowledge of underwriting principles and processes is required.
- Solid mathematical aptitude
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently with little direct supervision and within a team environment as needed
- Basic to intermediate skills with Excel, Word, Outlook and Power Point.
- Candidate should be organized and able to multi-task, provide follow-up and manage a significant book of business.
- Strong customer service skills and a professional attitude are required.
- Candidate should possess excellent written and verbal communication skills, and sharp attention to detail.
- Assist with training and development of less experienced staff.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to bend and/or reach or sit for up to 3 hours at a time.
- Ability to deliver results in a fast-paced environment
- The employee must occasionally lift/and or move up to 10-20lbs
- Must have adequate vision (with corrective lenses if needed) to clearly view computer screen
- Must have adequate hearing to perform job tasks.
- 3 to 5 years related work experience as Commercial CSR or Underwriting Assistant or Senior Underwriting Assistant preferred.
- Experience in a multi-state and multi-line commercial insurance environment preferred.
- 4-year degree strongly preferred.
- Insurance Fire and Casualty license preferred or completion of at least 4 Property and Casualty insurance education courses.