Underwriting Manager - Personal Lines
Centauri Specialty Insurance is a growing property and casualty insurance carrier with a ton of positive energy regarding the future of our organization. Our current staff of 40 tenacious professionals work together to solve problems to create effective products that meet the needs of our policyholders. This position is in our new state-of-the-art building in Sarasota, Florida.
Summary: The Personal Lines Underwriting Manager is a crucial role within the Personal Lines Team. This key function will assist us in developing our strategies moving forward. The Personal Lines Underwriting Manager develops, reviews, enforces and assists with personal lines underwriting guidelines, to meet corporate profitability and production objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Develop underwriting guidelines and procedures.
- Continually review, evaluate, enhance, test, and implement revisions to underwriting guidelines including providing direction to systems and partner underwriters.
- Tracks, manages and reports on underwriting trends for new business, renewals, endorsements, inspection findings and other transactions during the policy life cycle. Researches and assesses how Centauri compares to competitors and to the overall market.
- Review all submissions requiring home office Underwriting approval. Apply an advanced level of expertise and judgment to analyze data and provide approval for risk selection and acceptance, coverage, and price.
- Ensure objective and independent internal control evaluations are in place within the underwriting unit.
- Evaluate the systems, operations, and company practices against regulations and company policies/documents.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for improvement and implement action plans to address underwriting quality gaps.
- Maximize efficiency in underwriting operations while effectively utilizing available resources in support of company growth and profitability objectives.
- Make sound decisions based on data and risk assessment and make a positive impact on the long-term success of the overall business.
- Contribute to development of related training materials and presentations.
- Actively participates in training programs offered by Centauri, as needed.
- Travel: Must have the ability to travel up to 10%.
Supervisory Skills : Manages relationships and work product of underwriting and customer service partners.
What We Offer You:
- Opportunity for Advancement
- Generous health insurance package
- 90% company paid benefit-rich Health Coverage
- 100% company paid Dental, Vision, Disability and Life coverage
- 401(k) with employer matching contribution
- Paid time off
- 11 Holidays
- 12 days of sick
- 18 days of vacation annually
- 16 hours of Community Volunteer time
- Corporate events
- Wellness Program with Fitness Reimbursement program
- Actuarial Development Bonus Program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Business Casual Dress code
- Bachelor's degree (B. A. / B. S.) from four-year college or university;
- Minimum of five years in Underwriting preferably with experience with a carrier writing personal lines property in the southeast U.S.
- Minimum of three plus years in a supervisory role.
- Microsoft Office Suite a must.
- Access, Excel Pivot tables, V Look-up a plus
- CPCU or CIC is preferred; a licensed agent a plus
Required Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge and experience in personal lines property products and policy administration systems
- Ability to be flexible and adapt to the workplace
- Ability to tolerate stress and work well under tight deadlines
- Strong ability to gather information from multiple parties to ensure all perspectives are heard and considered
- Project Management skills with ability to manage and influence without direct authority
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Written and oral comprehension skills
- Organizational skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Time management skills
- Leadership skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Personal computer skills
- Relationship building skills
- Ability to be cooperative
- Physical demands for this position are Light with a moderate to heavy stress level. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Centauri is in beautiful Sarasota, on the Gulf Coast of Florida. Sarasota offers a variety of outdoor activities like fishing, sailing, swimming, kayaking, biking, golfing and running throughout the year. Cultural amenities with museums and art galleries and a collection of unique restaurants provide experiences to interest everyone. Sarasota offers a strong economy with great schools, a variety of churches and family friendly parks and community activities. Florida has NO State Taxes!
Please note: Completion of a satisfactory criminal record check, education verification and reference checks are required prior to employment.