Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Under general supervision, this position is responsible for investigating, evaluating, reserving, negotiating and resolving assigned Auto and Homeowner related Bodily Injury and Property Damage claims. Provides quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, litigation management, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations. May be a consultant or training resources and serves as a contact and technical resource to the field and our business partners. This job does not manage staff. As part of the hiring process, this position requires the completion of an online pre-employment assessment. Further information regarding the assessment including an accommodation process, if needed, will be provided at such time as your candidacy is deemed appropriate for further consideration.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Directly handles assigned severe claims.
- Provides quality customer service and ensures file quality and timely coverage analysis and communication with insured based on application of policy information to facts or allegations of each case.
- Consults with Manager on use of Claim Coverage Counsel as needed.
- Directly investigate each claim through prompt and strategically-appropriate contact with appropriate parties such as policyholders, accounts, claimants, law enforcement agencies, witnesses, agents, medical providers and technical experts to determine the extent of liability, damages, and contribution potential.
- Interview witnesses and stakeholders; take necessary statements, as strategically appropriate.
- Completes outside investigation as needed per case specifics.
- Actively engages in the identification, selection and direction of appropriate internal and/or external resources for specific activities required to effectively evaluate claims, such as Subrogation, Risk Control, nurse consultants, and fire or fraud investigators, and other experts.
- Verifies the nature and extent of injury or property damage by obtaining and reviewing appropriate records and damages documentation.
- Maintains claim files and documents claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- Utilizes evaluation documentation tools in accordance with department guidelines.
- Utilizes diary management system to ensure that all claims are handled timely.
- Establishes and maintains proper indemnity and expense reserves.
- Recommends appropriate cases for discussion at roundtable.
- Attends and/or presents at roundtables/authority discussions for collaboration of technical expertise resulting in improved payout on indemnity and expense.
- Actively and enthusiastically shares experience and knowledge of creative resolution techniques to improve the claim results of others.
- Develops and employs creative resolution strategies.
- Promptly and properly disposition all claims within delegated authority.
- Negotiates disposition of claims with insureds and claimants or their legal representatives.
- Recognizes and implements alternate means of resolution.
- Effectively and efficiently manage both allocated and unallocated loss adjustment expenses.
- Attends depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials, trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- Updates appropriate parties as needed, providing new facts as they become available, and their impact upon the liability analysis and settlement options.
- Recognizes cases, based on severity/ co.
- Develops litigation plan with staff or panel counsel, including discovery and legal expenses, to assure effective resolution and to satisfy customers.
- Applies litigation management through the selection of counsel, evaluation and direction of claim and litigation strategy.
- Tracks and controls legal expenses to assure cost-effective resolution.
In order to perform the essential functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) must be obtained within three months of starting the job and obtain ongoing continuing education credits as mandated. Perform other duties as assigned.
High School Degree or GED required with a minimum of 2 years bodily injury litigation claim handling experience.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Bachelor's Degree preferred. 3 years bodily injury liability claim handling and/or litigation experience preferred. Skilled in coverage, liability and damages analysis and has a thorough understanding of the litigation process, relevant case and statutory law and expert litigation management skills preferred. Extensive claim and/or legal experience and technical expertise to evaluate severe and complex claims preferred. Able to make independent decisions on most assigned cases without involvement of supervisor preferred. Thorough understanding of business line products, policy language, exclusions, ISO forms, and effective claims handling practices preferred. Bilingual candidates encouraged to apply.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
Openness to the ideas and expertise of others actively solicits input and shares ideas.
- Strong negotiation and customer service skills. - Intermediate
- Demonstrated coaching, influence and persuasion skills.- Intermediate.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills are required so as to understand, synthesize, interpret and convey, in a simplified manner, complex data and information to audiences with varying levels of expertise - Intermediate.
- Strong technology aptitude; ability to use business technology tools to effectively research, track, and communicate information. - Intermediate
- Attention to detail ensuring accuracy - Intermediate
Job Specific Technical Competencies:
- Analytical Thinking - Intermediate
- Judgment/Decision Making - Intermediate
- Communication - Intermediate
- Negotiation - Intermediate
- Insurance Contract Knowledge - Basic
- Principles of Investigation - Intermediate
- Value Determination - Intermediate
- Settlement Techniques - Intermediate
- Legal Knowledge - Basic
- Medical Knowledge - Intermediate
Operates standard office equipment - Continuously
Sitting (can stand at will) - Continuously
Standing - Frequently
Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key - Continuously
Other (List additional requirements as necessary) Incumbents who fill this position will be subject to periodic post-hire criminal background checks while employed in this position. As a condition of acceptance for the position, selected candidates for this position will be required to electronically accept the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) Disclosure Statement and Authorization included in the online employment application. You may also be subsequently asked to accept similar FCRA authorizations periodically throughout your employment with the Company.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE