Senior Workers Compensation Claims Adjuster
The Senior Claims Specialist manages within company standards and best practices complex and problematic, high visibility workers' compensation claims within delegated limited authority to determine benefits due; work closely with case managers and attorneys; manage subrogation and negotiate settlements to ensure specific customer service requirement to achieve the best possible outcome in the claim, supporting the goals of claims department and of CorVel.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Receives claim, confirms policy coverage and acknowledgement of the claim
- Determines validity and compensability of the claim by investigating and gathering information regarding the claim and files necessary documentation with state agencies
- Establishes reserves and authorizes payments within reserving authority limits
- Develops and manages well documented action plans with the case manager and outcomes manager to reduce overall cost of the claim
- Coordinates early return-to-work efforts with the appropriate parties.
- Manages subrogation and litigation of claim as it applies
- Manages potential claim recoveries of all types
- Reports claims to the excess carrier when applicable
- Communicates claim status with the customer and claimant
- Adheres to client and carrier guidelines and participates in claims review as needed
- Develops and maintains professional customer relationships
- Complies with rules and regulations of applicable state
- Additional projects and duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to assist team members to develop knowledge and understanding of claims practice.
- Ability to identify, analyze and solve problems.
- Computer proficiency and technical aptitude with the ability to utilize MS Office including Excel spreadsheets
- Strong interpersonal, time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work both independently and within a team environment.
- Knowledge of the entire claims administration, case management and cost containment solution as applicable to Workers Compensation.
- Bachelor's degree or a combination of education and related experience.
- Minimum of 5 years industry experience and claim handling