Insurance Analyst Trainee
Nature of Work
At Pinellas County, our vision is to be the Standard for Public Service in America. We are committed to progressive public policy, superior public service, courteous public contact, judicious exercise of authority, and responsible management of public resources to meet the needs and concerns of our citizens today and tomorrow. The Insurance & Contractual Risk Transfer Division within the Risk Management Department is seeking a new member to join our team as an Insurance Analyst Trainee. The Insurance & Contractual Risk Transfer Division manages the insurance program for County Departments, Board of County Commissioners and Constitutional Officers. Services include placement and administration of over 80 insurance policies. Contractual Risk Transfer services include reviewing most County contracts and agreements for risk assessment and to assign insurance requirements for special events, contractors, service providers and vendors conducting business with the County.
This position will perform trainee or higher-level work and development related to the analysis and administration of the Property and Casualty Insurance program for the County, including Contractual Risk Transfer. Coordinates exposure information and provides analysis of loss history data and policy rating. Exposure data is utilized for purposes of completing applications of insurance for the County program; applies insurance knowledge to the process of selecting appropriate types and limits of insurance for County contracts; becomes familiar with County and Appointing Authority insurable exposures through discussion, contract review, past loss history, and new exposures planned for the future; consults and works with brokers or insurance company underwriters, for purposes of placement of insurance renewals as well as new policies for multi-lines of coverage; performs policy administration including checking policies for accuracy and managing endorsement requests; reviews contracts to determine compliance with County’s insurance coverage requirements for vendors doing business with the County; maintains communication and collaboration with County departments and appointing authorities to discuss risks associated with contracts; discusses insurance requirements with vendors and/or their insurance agent/broker.
Minimum Qualification Requirements
- 4 years of experience in performing property & casualty insurance (P&C) policy analysis/underwriting/policy administration/placement for multiple types of commercial lines insurance coverage; or
- Associate’s Degree with major course work in risk management, finance, business administration or related field and 2 or more years’ experience in performing risk management analysis for multiple types of insurance coverage; or
- Bachelor’s or higher level degree with major course work in risk management, finance, business administration or related field with experience in performing risk management analysis for multiple types of insurance coverage;
- An equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience.
- Valid Florida Property & Casualty General Lines Agent License (2-20) at time of hire.
- Applicant must obtain and maintain Insurance Industry Designation such as the Certified Insurance Consultant (CIC) or Associate in Risk Management for Public Entities (ARM-P) within 1 year of appointment to the Insurance Analyst position. Florida Driver's License or Florida Commercial Driver’s License and endorsement, if any.
- Valid Florida Driver’s License at time of hire.
- Assignment to work a variety of work schedules including compulsory work periods in special, emergency, and/or disaster situations.
- Insurance Agency or Insurance Broker experience.
Illustrative Tasks (These are examples and are not all inclusive.)
- Prepares applications from data collected by the Insurance Technician for placement of renewal and new insurance coverage.
- Analyze exposures/rating/loss history data and coordinates information for brokers and insurance companies.
- Manages policy administration including binders, reviewing invoices, endorsements, renewals, and audits.
- Reviews and evaluates all County liability insurance policies and coordinates necessary modifications as required.
- Provides technical expertise and guidance to County agencies on property and liability insurance.
- Provides technical expertise and guidance to claims adjusters on property and liability insurance.
- Reviews and monitors contracts and recommendations/negotiation regarding insurance requirements for contractual transfer.
- Consults with legal representatives, representatives of the insurance industry, and regulatory agencies in connection with preparation and award of County contracts with vendors/parties.
- Performs contract reviews and monitors or evaluates appropriate insurance certificates insurance for vendors doing business with Pinellas County, based on scope of work and/or discussion with project managers.
- Maintains communication with County Departments and Appointing Authorities and discusses risks associated with contracts and exposures.
- Analyzes data for Annual Policy Audits before submission to carrier.
- Performs related work as assigned or required.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of property and casualty insurance coverage including Workers Compensation and National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) coverage
- Knowledge of policy administration (checking endorsements, billing, rating, audits) for Commercial Property and Casualty lines of insurance coverage
- Ability to learn County and Appointing Authority operations and types of insurance risks connected with such operations;
- Ability to asses insurance needs and adequacy of existing insurance policies;
- Ability to assess insurance policy requirements for County vendor/contractor contracts based on types of exposures as identified by scope of work and/or discussion with project managers
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, management, vendors, attorneys, outside agencies and the general public
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective record keeping systems and perform quantitative and qualitative analysis;
- Ability to apply computer applications and software including Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel:
- Ability to become a proficient “user” (with training) of County Risk Management Information System (RMIS).
Certain servicemembers and veterans, and the spouses and family members of the servicemembers and veterans, receive preference and priority in employment by the state and are encouraged to apply for the positions being filled.
Ciertos miembros del servicio y veteranos, sus esposas/os, y sus familiares reciben preferencia y prioridad en el empleo con el gobierno y se les recomienda que apliquen para los puestos.