Territory Underwriter - Commercial
We are looking for a Territory Underwriter to handle Oregon territories. Location is flexible as this is a remote position.
Must have experience in the following lines of business:
Commercial Advantage Policy (CAP), Commercial Property, Burglary, & Theft (Excluding Earthquake), General Liability, Inland Marine, Automobile, and Umbrella.
Summary Underwrite and produce profitable business within an assigned territory in accordance with Company objectives and policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Examines documents such as application forms, inspection reports, insurance maps and past claims to determine degree of risk from such factors as applicant financial standing, business operations, loss experience, value and condition of property, vehicles, inventory and equipment.
- Work within specific authority level to quote, accept, decline, modify and renew risks within territorial assignment in accordance with accepted underwriting guidelines. Establishes types and limits of coverage to be provided.
- Determines if reinsurance is needed and authorizes reinsurance of policy when risk is high.
- Calculates standard rates and premium charges by using approved formulas and tables.
- Answer incoming calls from agents responding to inquiries on coverage, and making adjustments to policy information based upon prescribed authority. Conduct outbound calls and follow-up work to agents required to close out inquiry/transaction.
Develop and maintain positive relationships with agencies. Travel is required to meet with agents and to become familiar with the underwriting territory.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university preferred; and 1-3 years of underwriting experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Advanced Microsoft Office Skills
Strong analytical and communication skills.
Detail oriented with the ability to work in a team environment and be flexible to daily changing needs and job duties.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Insurance related course work