Litigation Claims Examiner
Mercury has been named one of ‘America’s Best Employers’ in 2017 & 2018 by Forbes magazine. We have also been recognized seven times by Forbes as one of “America’s Most Trustworthy Companies.” At Mercury, people come first. We offer bonus potential, excellent benefits, matching 401(k), employee activities, and many more perks. Are you interested in working for a company that’s been recognized as one of America’s Best Employers’?
Position Summary: The primary job function is to negotiate settlement of litigated, high-value, complex liability and bodily injury claims in the most expedient and cost-effective manner.
Essential Job Functions:
- Directs settlement strategy and defense through litigation procedures in conjunction with defense counsel.
- Review and analyze case information, such as, preliminary investigations, coverage documents and recommended reserves, to establish nature of the claim; conduct more extensive investigation as needed for litigation procedures and defense.
- Analyze and evaluate extent of injury and loss, liability, comparative negligence and subrogation potential based on additional investigation and review of coverage determinations.
- Negotiates settlement of claims when possible; establishes reserve amounts and discusses claims which exceed personal authority limit with manager.
- Establishes and directs settlement strategy in conjunction with defense counsel for non-negotiable and litigated cases; attend arbitration, depositions, court hearings, and mandatory settlement conferences, etc. as needed.
- Issues settlement payments and obtain appropriate releases for adjusted claims; closes claim files according to Company procedures.
- Maintains diary of files in pending and update file information to ensure accurate record of claims; continually reviews and monitors progress and expense of claims in pending.
- Bachelor’s Degree required in related field, additional insurance-specific related courses as well
- A minimum of 5 years related Company experience.
- NY Litigation/BI experience preferred.
- Equivalent combination of education and/or experience