Underwriter - Commercial Lines - Workers Compensation
There’s never been a better time to join NJM! With a nationally ranked reputation for outstanding customer service and a history that spans more than a century, NJM is a leading provider of worker’s compensation, automobile and homeowners insurance in New Jersey . It is an exciting time to join NJM as we are expanding into other states.
Become a member of our team and you’ll be part of company who operates for the sole benefit of its policyholders and is committed to maintaining the highest levels of service. Team members are offered a competitive compensation package and benefits including: a 401k plan, health coverage, a generous paid time off plan, and much more!
NJM Insurance Group is seeking a Commercial Underwriter (WC Underwriter is the official NJM Title) for our West Trenton, NJ location. This position will be concentrating on Workers’ Compensation in reviewing submissions from agents, negotiating coverage and premiums, as well as supporting profitable new business growth while maintaining strong agency relationships. Accounts will include a variety of premium ranges across multiple lines of business and products. The Underwriter prepares a review of complex and unusual commercial risks and coverage issues for evaluation. The Underwriter will also provide and support analysis, product development, and other high profile initiatives.
• Maintains awareness of commercial lines industry and underwriting trends in various states and applies this knowledge to enhance existing products and services and support the creation of new ones
• Proactively researches and finalizes underwriting assessment of new and renewal business to promote adequate and competitive pricing
• Partner with other commercial lines areas in exceeding NJM business growth and retention targets
• Exercise independent judgment in accepting or declining exposure falling within established guidelines, as well as new lines of business and jurisdictions
• Effectively communicates results to senior and executive management
• Conducts account pricing and performance analysis. Accommodates ad hoc research requests from NJM staff, clients, and brokers
• Partners with Commercial Lines sales staff in helping to retain clients
• Provide assistance to production and rating staff
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• 5 + years in Property and Casualty, Commercial Multi-Line Underwriting with authority is required
• Strong Workers Comp. background is required
• Bachelor’s degree is preferred
• Independent decision making skills
• Advanced user skills in Microsoft Office Suite.
• Service-oriented self-starter possessing an excellent professional demeanor and interpersonal skills; accountable for accurate and timely work products.
• Team-builder and strategic planner with experience collaborating with sales, loss prevention, premium audit, product development staff, and the broker community.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills; outstanding ability to clearly explain and document decisions and conduct presentations to senior and executive management, clients, and brokers.
• CPCU and other related designations are a plus.
NJM is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to attracting, retaining and promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce that is fully representative of the diversity that exists in the communities in which we do business.