Senior Underwriter - Package - Commercial Lines
Senior Commercial Lines Package Underwriter
West Trenton, NJ (Ewing Township)
"You work for NJM? That's a great company!" If you're hired, you'll hear it over and over again from friends, family and neighbors. Why? Because NJM strives consistently to meet the service expectations of its customers. These efforts do not go unnoticed — many policyholders have trusted NJM for decades, and it's commonplace for NJM to insure multiple generations of the same business and families.
With opportunities for advancement, competitive salaries, and attractive benefits, including medical, dental, a generous 401(k) plan, paid time off and more, many employees choose to build their careers at NJM. As New Jersey's premier property/casualty insurer and a leading provider of Workers Compensation, Commercial Auto, and Personal Lines insurance, NJM expanded into multiple states in 2018 with further market expansion in those states planned for 2019 and beyond.
This is a very rare and exciting opportunity for a Senior Commercial Package Underwriter to come on board with a top long standing and highly reputable industry leader, and assist with our expansion into the Commercial Package Middle Market space. In this role the candidate would work out of our commercial lines headquarters in West Trenton, New Jersey and work closely with Commercial Underwriting leadership.
• Initially a key focus will be on developing a full blown commercial package product offering, along with ating and underwriting rule development.
• Will act as the Subject Matter Expert related to Commercial Package for NJM. Will also ultimately be a mentor and a technical go to person for underwriters related to this product. This goes for referral handling as well.
• Will be the point person for IT in developing the commercial package product. Assists in the designing and implementation of new underwriting applications, processes and/or procedures.
• Simultaneously will learn the NJM way of doing business, while underwriting a limited number of existing Workers Compensation and Commercial Auto lines of business accounts for Middle Market.
• Partner with other commercial lines areas in exceeding NJM business growth, profitability and retention targets.
• Comply with all legal and regulatory requirements to ensure obligations are met
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
• Typically has a minimum of 7-10 years’ experience underwriting middle market commercial package accounts.
• Extensive knowledge of the Commercial Package product, underwriting risk assessment, controls, rules, guidelines, pricing, rating forms and coverage.
• Proficient knowledge of how Commercial Package systems and processes work for the Middle Market size market segment.
• Ability to train and lead underwriters in all aspects of Commercial Package underwriting and processing functions.
• Ability to review coverage requests and independently makes risk decisions based on company appetite, guidelines, risk characteristics and levels of authority. Refers risks as required for additional review.
• Maintains thorough knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance, target industry and class trends, emerging market needs, issues and competition as it related to Commercial Package.
• Experience developing broker relationships and profitable book of business for assigned book of business.
• Service-oriented self-starter possessing an excellent professional demeanor. Accountable for accurate and timely work products.
• Strong communication, interpersonal, problem solving and team building skills. Ability to work with sales, loss prevention, premium audit, product development, IT staff and the broker community.
• High level of motivation: self-starter, ability to quickly organize materials, prioritize and coordinate tasks.
• Must be detail oriented to ensure accuracy and quality of underwriting development.
• Strong analytical skills.
• Completion of general insurance courses such as CPCU, AU, ARM or CIC are a plus.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
NJM is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to attracting, retaining and promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce that is fully representative of the diversity that exists in the communities in which we do business