Attorney - Complex Claims Unit
Job Summary: The Attorney, Complex Case Unit position is responsible for providing a high level of technical knowledge while working as a critical resource on complex commercial claims and coverage issues.
- Verify coverage/coverage primacy as new losses are received.
- Adjust complex claims, including investigating, evaluating, negotiating, documenting, and validating to conclusion within authority level.
- Evaluate options on problematic files and choose best solutions.
- Work with outside panel attorneys assigned in the defense of insured and attend mediations and trials as a representative of the Company.
- Communicate with interested parties (i.e. insured, claimants, agents, attorneys, reinsurers) as appropriate.
- Monitor, with management consent, approved independent adjusters and attorneys in the field.
- Establish and maintain reserves and communicate with management on a consistent basis.
- Assist in developing technical knowledge within the department.
- Perform other duties as assigned by management.
Education/Training Requirements: Juris Doctorate required.
Experience/Specialized Skills: Minimum of five years’ experience as a practicing attorney in an insurance defense firm or in-house for a property/casualty insurer required. Advanced knowledge of insurance and tort law, advanced understanding of legal principles and terminology as it relates to insurance operations and advanced knowledge of medical terminology and procedures required. Intermediate computer skills (word processing, spreadsheets, databases, Internet, e-mail) required.