Sr. Underwriting Consultant - Mortality Insights
Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what theyve earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, were fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, were better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. Were seeking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on.
How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
As a Mortality Insights Senior Underwriting Consultant Life Underwriting, you will play a significant role in mortality, morbidity, medical, and regulatory research to aid in determination of underwriting requirements, process and procedures, controls, and overall underwriting philosophy. You will be responsible for the review of contestable claims and participate in the process of forms development, claims handling and the creation and maintenance of our relationship with internal and external partners related to current and future state claims development. Your oversight includes ensuring that regulatory requirements are adhered to while providing our customers a world class service experience that is simple. Candidates should embrace leading in a team-based environment and collaborating with other leaders to help Brighthouse Financial successfully grow market share and provide outstanding service to our customers.
- Participates in or leads mortality related projects protective value studies, mortality studies, claims analysis, etc.
- Reviews and authorizes actions on contestable claims, including questionable or foreign deaths, etc. Authorizes claim approvals within authority limits. May assist with litigation matters resulting from claims limitations or denials.
- Builds partnerships with internal and external business areas critical to the success of the mortality insights and claims group including compliance, contract filing and legal.
- Maintains extensive knowledge of the structure and build requirements for application forms and correspondence, procedures and workflow governing the processing of claims both in-house and within vendor relationships.
- Ensures compliance with regulatory standards associated with claims handling
- Plans, evaluates, and improves the efficiency of business processes and procedures to enhance speed, quality, efficiency, and output of the claims organization.
- Makes business decisions that are financially responsible, accountable, justifiable, and defensible in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
- Plans, organizes, and mentors a team of junior claims professionals to ensure effective, efficient, profitable operation
- Assists in establishing the policies, practices, and procedures to ensure compliance inquiries are handled inclusive of market conduct exams, Department of Insurance complaints and other escalations.
- Works collaboratively with claims vendor to ensure time service, quality and adherence to business operating guidelines.
- Determines proper course of action for unique, sensitive, or escalated cases referred by subordinates or manager for special consideration or special handling.
- May assist in development of electronic environment for future state handling inclusive of enhanced forms and customer portal functionality
- May assist in underwriting rules engine development for future state.
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Advanced knowledge of insurance principles, including mortality and morbidity risk and underwriting, with 8+ years of related experience
- Very strong knowledge of medical terminology, human biology and anatomy
- Prior experience in claims, forensic underwriting, training or auditing preferred
- Undergraduate degree preferred
- Industry designations in FALU, FLMI and/or CLU
- Experience in litigation, contract filing or compliance helpful
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to communicate clearly and concisely by telephone and email. Strong listening skills to ensure understanding of associate and customer questions and concerns. Overall, ability to effectively communicate.
- Ability to foster and develop successful professional relationships to elicit the trust and confidence of our customers and business partners
- Works with a sense of accountability and ownership; results driven
- Excellent project and process manager, open to direction and Collaborative work style
- Easily adaptable to changes in business processes, work priorities and work environment