Brighthouse Financial is on a mission to help people achieve financial security. As one of the largest providers of annuities and life insurance in the U.S., we specialize in products designed to help people protect what theyve earned and ensure it lasts. We are built on a foundation of experience and knowledge, which allows us to keep our promises and provide the value they deserve.
At Brighthouse Financial, were fostering a culture where diverse backgrounds and experiences are celebrated, and different ideas are heard and respected. We believe that by creating an inclusive workplace, were better able to attract and retain our talent, provide valuable solutions that meet the needs of our advisors and their clients, and deliver on our mission of helping more people achieve financial security. Were seeking passionate, high-performing team member to join us. Sound like you? Read on.
How This Role Contributes to Brighthouse Financial:
The Leader, Mortality Insights, Controls and Medical Services will be responsible for the management and oversight of the Brighthouse life insurance underwriting philosophy and the controls necessary to ensure we achieve our expected mortality and morbidity results, protect against fraud and anti-selection, and adhere to our best in cost model. This person is directly responsible Medical Services, Mortality Insights, Mortality and Protective Value Studies, Claims Oversight, Audit, and Underwriting and New Business Training and Development. They will also provide expert consultation on individual risks, litigation and regulatory matters, and work with the Head of Life New Business & Underwriting on strategic and operational matters.
- Manages overall life underwriting risk assessment process for Brighthouse Financial, impacting Company bottom line and producer satisfaction. Has authority to veto acceptance of any risk and can only be overridden by Head of Life New Business and Underwriting.
- Provide medical and financial underwriting expertise and consultative services to underwriters, including training curriculum development and delivery, regarding highly complex underwriting situations, such as medical assessments, foreign travel, aviation, avocation and financial underwriting.
- Coordinates with the Head of Underwriting and New Business, Head of Product Pricing, and Leader, Underwriting Operations in setting life insurance new business and underwriting strategies, driving the transformation of risk selection process while balancing the need to maintain and improve mortality results and comply with appropriate insurance and financial services regulations. Includes setting the underwriting strategy, philosophy, guidelines and procedures for Brighthouse Financial.
- Consults with Head of Life New Business & Underwriting on requests for high profile, large premium cases, and provides input into new product development and application form content.
- Manages the audit and control functions for Life Underwriting and New Business.
- Provides expert review on claim and rescissions, as well as regulatory or legal matter. May represent the Company on regulatory or litigation matters.
- Grant adjustments to individual underwriter authority up to Brighthouse corporate retention following case audits and reviews.
- Analyzes and provide sign off for individual underwriter audit results, acting as liaison between auditor, underwriter and management.
- Manage other projects as assigned by Head of New Business & Underwriting
Essential Business Experience and Technical Skills:
- Minimum of 15 years individual life underwriting experience underwriting multi-million dollar, highly complex life cases. Background in claims and/or Long-Term Care underwriting helpful.
- Expert understanding of: all risk factors relating to mortality risk management (medical, financial, occupational, environmental, etc.; insurance principles including mortality, insurable interest and actuarial theory; compliance with insurance, privacy and FINRA regulations; reinsurance treaties, pool agreements and auto-bind retention limits; and individual life insurance products and riders.
- Holds FALU, FLMI and/or CLU industry designations and bachelors degree, FINRA Series 6 and 26.
- Demonstrates sound business judgment, produces results, focuses on customers, and have excellent negotiation, relationship building and influencing skills.
- Ability to partner with senior executives across distribution, operations, product development, finance, etc.
- Experienced leader with the ability to attract, select, develop and manage the performance of highly skilled professional associates
- Excellent interpersonal skills. Able to interact effectively within and without the enterprise at all levels to build strong cooperative relationships that drive profitable sales.
- Ability to understand process, technology, underwriting and service across the various distribution channels
- Strong negotiation skills and ability to influence and gain consensus of individuals with whom they do not have a direct reporting relationship
- Ability to develop strategies, create, and implement plans to solve problems. Experience in leading the development, execution, and measurement of strategic plans.
- Handles multiple priorities with tight and shifting deadlines
- Strong financial acumen to understand business value and make recommendations on spending
- Excellent communication skills and presentation skills. Experience in delivering presentations to associates and senior management
- Proven success as a leader and manager; develop and manage a newly-created function in a newly separated entity
- High personal impact, self-starter, critical thinker
Direct Reports: 12