Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
We are looking for an innovative, forward thinking, and results driven leader to join Personal Insurance. This is an opportunity to join the Personal Insurance Business Technology - Business Intelligence & Analytics Team (PIBT BI&A). The person hired will lead a team of employees and contractors responsible for managing our 'data at rest' platforms and have the responsibility for our Personal Insurance Teradata & Hadoop environments. A strong focus will be on leading continuous efforts to optimize our data environments, looking for new creative ways to manage our space footprint, data redundancy, and CPU consumption across platforms.
Individual will need to participate in project planning and initiation, architectural decisions, technical design, and implementation of data assets for Business Intelligence systems. Direct, mentor, and lead the work of the DBA's, System Administrators, and Developers with a strong focus on delivery and execution. Continue to guide the team through further adoption of Scaled Agile Framework (SAFE) practices across DBT teams.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Directs assigned staff to implement and/or maintain systems of medium to high complexity and/or assigned project(s). Manages to the tactical and operational plan and budget for assigned information systems and/or projects of business unit significance. Provides input to the Senior management team on the development of the operational plan. Advocates the use of technology to develop and/or redesign the organization's processes. Understands cost benefit analysis as the key driver for enhancement and/or project prioritization. Has awareness of Enterprise strategies and impact on the line of business or functional area of responsibility. Provides key project stakeholders and IT leadership with timely status updates and/or system performance updates. Applies knowledge of current industry trends and techniques to formulate solutions within the context of assigned projects and/or enhancements. Accountable for directing team to achieve deliverables. Manages team direction and the day-to-day work of direct reports. Responsible for providing consistent performance feedback/coaching and completing formal performance reviews.
High School diploma or equivalent required. 5 years of technology or business related experience required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
- Minimum 5 years of experience managing and delivering Data warehouse/ETL/Business Intelligence projects and teams.
- Minimum 10 years of hands on Software development experience in Data Warehouse/ETL/Business Intelligence domain
- Extensive experience managing and maintaining one or more Database platforms (Teradata preferred)
- Extensive experience managing, developing, or maintaining Hadoop Platforms (Hortonworks or Cloudera preferred)
- Experience and an in-depth understanding for new technologies including Cloud technologies, advanced analytics technologies including Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Blockchain, and No SQL DB's (Mongo)
- Working knowledge of Java, HIVE, PIG, MapReduce, Spark, R, Python
- Hands on experience and proficiency with Unix/Linux and Korn shell scripting
- Strong knowledge, use, and implementation of BI/DW development methodologies, standards and best practices
- Extensive experience in environment, license, and space management
- Extensive experience with delivery using Scaled Agile Framework (SAFE)
- Planning at an operational level and managing the effective use of resources. Solid project management skills and leadership of assigned staff
- Demonstrate strong people, communication and relationship management skills
- Experience in working with external IT vendors in a staff augmentation and/or project collaboration models with large offshore teams
- Coordination of large deliverables across various supporting IT areas including SA, QA, Project Management, and Architecture
- Experience in developing and leveraging metrics to track and report progress of ongoing support and project initiatives
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
Has a solid working knowledge of capabilities and direction of technology, coupled with an in-depth knowledge of the technology required and the needs of business environment necessary to support assigned systems and/or projects. Develops solutions to meet business needs that reflect a clear understanding of the objectives, practices and procedures of the corporation, department and business unit. Has thorough understanding of staff responsibilities, abilities and development needs.
Business Knowledge & Partnership:
Creates an atmosphere where business partner's issues are dealt with professionally and in a timely manner. Suggests solutions that make sense and are in line with future technology direction. Communicates openly and effectively in a manner consistent with the audience. Demonstrates an adaptive style that is flexible and effective in gaining cooperation of others.
Maintains effective partnerships across the organization and is able to influence senior management, peers and subordinates through an inclusive style and recognition of their abilities and knowledge. Balances team and individual responsibilities. Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views. Gives and welcomes feedback. Puts success of team above own interest.
Manages functional objectives and priorities supporting multiple assigned business units. Responsibilities are assigned with latitude for setting priorities and decision-making using generally accepted guidelines. Results are reviewed with next level manager for clarification according to predefined objectives.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE