Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Review insurance applications to evaluate, classify, and rate individuals and groups for insurance coverage. Accept or reject applications based on plan rules.
• Examine and process applications for new business, renewals, endorsements and cancellations. Accept or reject based on eligibility, accuracy and completeness.
• Respond to complex telephone inquiries, correspondence and complaints from agents, insureds, companies, and attorneys.
• Determine and compile rating criteria (MVR, CLUE and Questionnaire information) to maximize premium.
• Process Insurance Department complaints, legal correspondence, and special problem inquiries. Communicate with Registry of Motor Vehicles and Insurance Department on special problems and follow through to resolution.
• Handle a variety of special underwriting problems including late renewals, duplicate coverage problems, special risks, and producer/insurance department complaints.
• Review CAIP application for eligibility/filings and mail to assigned carrier. Maintain appropriate logs and file copies of assignments.
• Record and maintain financial responsibility filings history.
• Enter information accurately and timely into policy administration system.
Associate degree (AA) or a Bachelor's degree (BA) from a college or technical school is preferred. CPCU or other insurance designations may be considered in lieu of a degree. Additional appropriate experience may be considered in lieu of a degree.
3 or more years of underwriting experience and/or training required. Knowledge of the insurance industry, particularly the Residual Market Automobile insurance industry preferred.
• Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office productivity tools (e.g. Outlook, Word, Excel) to manage work.
• Effective problem-solving skills, including ability to analyze complex issues, find the root cause of the problem, and consider a wide range of alternatives before acting.
• Demonstrate strong verbal and written communication skills, including ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups or individuals.
• Ability to multi-task and demonstrate flexibility while maintaining attention to detail.
• Demonstrate excellent organizational skills.
• Ability to work independently and interact professionally and effectively in a team environment.
• Proficient with calculating figures and amounts such as discounts, commissions and percentages.
• Knowledge of the insurance industry, particularly automobile insurance, preferred.