Underwriting Manager - Commercial
Commercial Lines Underwriting Manager
(Formal NJM Title: Administrator, Commercial Lines Underwriting)
"You work for NJM? That's a great company!" If you're hired, you'll hear it over and over again from friends, family and neighbors. Why? Because NJM strives consistently to meet the service expectations of its customers. These efforts do not go unnoticed — many policyholders have trusted NJM for decades, and its commonplace for NJM to insure multiple generations of the same business and families.
This is a very rare and exciting opportunity for an experienced Underwriting Manager to come on board with a top long standing and highly reputable industry leader, initially assist in managing our Commercial Auto book of business, and subsequently assist with our expansion into the multiline arena. In this role the candidate would work out of our commercial lines headquarters in West Trenton, New Jersey and work closely with Commercial Underwriting leadership.
• The successful candidate will become an integral part of the commercial underwriting leadership team. They will help achieve the desired business results for profitability, growth and retention for assigned areas of responsibility and consistent with company underwriting strategies.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience:
• Initially utilized underwriting knowledge for Commercial Auto. Subsequently next year, also need to utilize expertise from other Commercial Property and Casualty lines of business as well.
• A minimum of 5 years’ of insurance company underwriting management experience for these lines of business. A minimum of 10 years in commercial underwriting overall.
• Demonstrated proficiency in managing commercial books of business. Requires a track record of success in profitability, growth, retention and underwriting results achieved.
• Ability to effectively lead, coach, and develop underwriting staff.
• Strong analytical skills and ability to review coverage requests and independently makes risk decisions based on company appetite, guidelines, risk characteristics and levels of authority.
• Strong knowledge of underwriting documentation, systems and processes required.
• Maintains thorough knowledge of applicable laws, regulations and governance, target industry and class trends, emerging market needs, issues and competition.
• May support related product development ideas and intelligence.
• Experience developing broker relationships and profitable book of business for assigned local territories.
• Service-oriented self-starter possessing an excellent professional demeanor. Accountable for accurate and timely work products.
• Strong communication, interpersonal, problem solving and team building skills. Ability to work with sales, loss prevention, premium audit, product development staff and the broker community.
• High level of motivation: self-starter, ability to quickly organize materials, prioritizes and coordinates tasks.
• Must be detail oriented to ensure accuracy and quality of finished underwriting product.
• Bachelor’s degree is required. Advanced degree is a plus.
• Completion of general insurance courses such as CPCU, AU, ARM or CIC is also a plus.
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
NJM is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to attracting, retaining and promoting a diverse and inclusive workforce that is fully representative of the diversity that exists in the communities in which we do business.