Saint Paul, Minnesota
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
The Bond & Specialty Insurance Underwriting Internship Program provides qualified students with an excellent opportunity to gain first-hand experience, receive valuable on-the-job training and learn more about the property & casualty insurance industry.
What exactly is an Underwriter? Insurance is the contractual transfer of financial risk from one party to another. Underwriters (Account Executives) are the heart of the insurance process, gathering and researching pertinent information and then using finely tuned analytical skills to evaluate the acceptability of business and institutional risk. However, underwriters are more than just analysts - they are the core relationship builders with our agents and clients. They are responsible for managing a profitable portfolio of business through our distributing agents and brokers. An underwriting career includes a dynamic blend of analytical and marketing skills - it's challenging, stimulating and a superb career choice.
The Bond and Specialty Insurance Division:
The Bond & Specialty Insurance provides management liability, professional liability and surety to businesses of all sizes. It also provides traditional property casualty coverages to Financial Institutions, and is organized into six separate and distinct business units which include:
- Commercial Surety: Protects a third party from the failure of an insured to perform or fulfill an obligation
- Construction Services: Insuring the bond between contractors and clients
- Financial Institutions: Insurance for community banks, credit unions, insurance companies, investment advisors and large depository & non-depository institutions
- Private/Non Profit Liability: Insurance products for private companies and non-profit institutions
- Professional Liability: Professional liability coverage protects against liability claims for negligence, errors and omissions in the performance of professional services
- Public Company Liability: Insurance products crafted to address the diverse management liability exposures faced by today's public companies
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
Each intern will be expected to complete challenging and meaningful project work over the course of this program. In addition, there are core assignments and a designated coach to further develop interns' knowledge of insurance underwriting, sales and marketing. Positions are available across various U.S. offices lasting approximately 10-12 weeks beginning in late May/early June 2019. Housing assistance is not provided.
Must be pursuing a Bachelor's degree.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Because the Bond & Specialty Internship Program itself is complex and dynamic, we welcome applicants that have a variety of majors, backgrounds and experiences. For this internship opportunity, we are most interested in students who are serious about entering the insurance industry and who are excited about the prospect of making underwriting their future career choice.
- Preferred cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Undergraduate students completing their sophomore or junior year.
- Business Administration, Economics, Finance, Risk Management/Insurance, Marketing or other Liberal Arts majors with a business focus are preferred.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Legally eligible to work in the United States.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE