Paralegal - Yonkers, NY
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. Youll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Leadership Principles: We Continuously Get Better
Leadership Principles: We Develop Each Other
Leadership Principles: We Drive Results
Leadership Principles: We Win Together
Leadership Principles: We're Here to Serve
Leadership Principles: We're Transparent
Job Family Summary
- The Litigation Services Paralegal job family supports the efficient operation of the Law & Regulation (L&R) Litigation Services department by applying knowledge of legal concepts and processes. Under the direction of the departments attorneys, supports the management of insurance defense and tort litigation/dispute work and related issues/matters.
- Provides paralegal support for Litigation Services attorneys. Prepares pleadings and motions. Under general attorney supervision, facilitates the discovery process, including: obtaining records, reviewing documents, interviewing clients, preparing trial materials, and summarizing and analyzing research. Identifies, summarizes, and monitors relevant issues.
- Review new file assignments, draft initial pleadings (e.g. answer, motion, etc.), and draft discovery
- Prepare brief to assist client in presenting case in small claims court
- Draft responses to discovery demands
- Assist clients in answering questions regarding discovery
- Review and serve responses to discovery demands
- Assist attorney in preparing materials for trial, arbitration or mediation
- Assist with the identification and summarizing of relevant issues; continually monitor issues and update attorney, as appropriate
- Review new and proposed legislation and determine applicability
- Education: Must have a Bachelors Degree in related field -or- Paralegal Certificate required, American Bar Association (ABA) approved preferred
- Must have 1 - 5 years' of Insurance-industry experience preferred
- Have a knowledge of legal holds and discovery processes
- Have analytical skills and strong attention to detail
- Have the ability to identify, prioritize and solve problems effectively regarding basic matters
- Have the ability to work in diverse, multi-office, and long-distance environment
- Have basic budget management skills and ability to reconcile expense reports
- Have Basic project management skills and experience interacting with law firm/vendors
- Have an ability to exercise discretion and maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Have basic researching, proofreading, and formatting skills
- Have the ability to collaborate and interact with all levels of personnel and build strong relationships with business colleagues
- Have a high degree of ethics and integrity
- Have Strong interpersonal skills, advanced written and oral communication and effective customer service skills
- Have the ability to identify inconsistencies in routine work and initiate corrective action within own workflow
- Have the ability to deliver results with a sense of urgency
- Must adapt well to change; able to multi-task and make effective decisions in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Must be a proactive self-starter who is able to manage his/her time effectively and work independently
- Regular, predictable attendance is an essential function of this job.
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.