Assurant has an exciting opportunity for a Ratings Analyst!
The RatingsAnalyst will control data flow to the rating agencies, will build and maintain models to forecast metrics, assist in coordinating and compiling presentations, , stay abreast of developments with our competitors and our rating agencies and convey developments to interested parties, aid in communicating the message of Assurant and its Segments with the agencies and help execute the overall ratings strategy for Assurant.
Day to Day Contact for the Rating Agencies. Field phone calls with Rating Agencies to handle data requests. Assist in giving Rating Agencies a better understanding of our complex businesses by providing detailed information after consulting with Ratings and Capital Vice President and other relevant experts. Keep all interested parties up-to-date with developments. Arrange logistics for all meetings/conference calls with the Rating Agencies. Work closely with the business units, Finance and Assurant Asset Management to provide Rating Agencies with requested information in a timely fashion. Prepare Rating Agency Presentations. Work with Ratings and Capital Vice President, Segment Business Leads and key leaders from Corporate Functional Areas to coordinate preparation of the annual New York AM Best, Moodys, S&P and Fitch presentations. Coordinate with IR and Communications departments to ensure common message by Segment for all presentations. Participate in annual New York ratings presentations, and coordinate any follow up questions that may result from the meetings. Maintain Model and Forecast of Key Rating Agency Metrics: Analyze key drivers of the Companys ratings and understand calculation of metrics that drive the rating. Determine whether agency standard approaches make sense as applied to Assurants unique business mix and determine rationale for why certain metrics are not meaningful as applied to Assurant. Build models to regularly measure and forecast key metrics seeking input from other departments when needed. Peer Analysis: Analyze peer company ratings metrics as compared to Assurant and the associated ratings of the peers. Identify any inconsistencies in approach that may adversely impact AIZs ratings. Analyze peer dividend policy to assist with recommended changes to Assurant Dividends. Control data flow to rating agencies. Maintain logs and files of AM Best annual data requests, such as Initial Galleys, Full Reports, Supplemental Ratings Questionnaires (SRQs), Presidents letters, capital models, etc. Maintain log and files of S&P annual surveys, capital models, etc. Maintain log and files of data sent to Moodys and Fitch for use in their annual reviews. Maintain chronological files of other relevant data sent to the rating agencies (such as bond or CP documents, emails with embedded information, etc.). Conduct reviews to analyze information contained within data flow for accuracy correspond with appropriate parties within our organization and at rating agencies for corrections and/or changes. Coordination of Rating Agency Releases, Surveys, Questionnaires and Reports. Assist with the review of press releases and other documents to be publicly released about our companies in a timely fashion. Assist with the review of non-public documents analyzing statutory information that are provided to rating agencies as well (SRQ, Surveys, capital models). Ensure accuracy of data. Analyze data and ensure that financial data ties back to publicly available sources, such as Assurants 10-K, 10Q, statutory statements, press releases, etc. Correspond with Ratings Agencies as to any corrections and changes. Coordinate the review of such releases and reports with IR, Legal, Enterprise Business Services, representatives from the business units, and Communications departments. Stay Abreast of Ratings Developments and Inform Interested Parties. Attend annual industry meetings sponsored by AM Best, S&P and other Rating Agencies. Notify and distribute relevant materials to interested parties at the Segments and in New York (i.e., CEO, CFO, etc). Research rating agencies websites and stay up-to-date on their opinions, reports, and any ratings actions of our competitors. Inform interested parties at Segments and in New York of developments from the Agencies. Make sure internet and intranet are updated to reflect any changes in ratings. Assist in preparation and review of ratings disclosure in annual report. Education
- College degree, preferably in finance, accounting or related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of related/finance experience with specific experience analyzing financial data.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Excel (use of pivot tables, as well common math and financial functions) and PowerPoint (creating complex presentations)
- Knowledge of the industries and sectors in which the company operations
- Knowledge of insurance accounting
- Strong communication skills (oral, written, listening)
- Attention to detail and accuracy of work
- Ability to create an atmosphere in which timely and high quality information flows smoothly between self and others; encourages the open expression of ideas and opinions.
- Ability to convey information clearly and effectively through both formal and informal documents; reviews and edits written work constructively
- Relates to people in an open, friendly, accepting manner
- Accesses and uses other expert resources when appropriate
- Ability to take action in order to meet, and where possible, exceed customer needs and expectations
- Is willing and able to adjust to multiple demands, shifting priorities, ambiguity and rapid change