Senior Director Global Data Strategy, Global Retail Markets
Advance your Career at Liberty Mutual Insurance - A Fortune 100 Company
The Senior Director, Global Data Strategy is responsible for developing the vision for the global data strategy roadmap (US, East and West regions), and navigating and addressing ambiguous business problems through capabilities achieved in the roadmap. This individual ties the global roadmap to missions (portfolio of projects and data use cases) that improves the customer experience, as measured by relevant KPIs. This individual will work with Data Asset Management, US Data Operations, and E/W Data teams to ensure that data use cases are captured appropriately within the missions, and will build and leverage the data capabilities outlined within the data strategy roadmap. The Senior Director leads the team to build and maintain the global data strategy roadmap through the effective prioritization of work. As noted in the responsibilities, at this level there is a heightened expectation to string together increasingly ambiguous and aspirational needs across the organization into common themes within an actionable global data strategy roadmap. The Senior Director will work at the highest authority limits on assignments reflecting the highest degree of technical and strategic complexity and coordination. This individual should possess a high and extensive level of technical and industry knowledge.
- Owns the global (US, East, West) data strategy roadmap. Sets the strategic vision for the global data strategy roadmap (US, E|W), which will be used to drive alignment among executives; business leaders; and data and IT teams. The roadmap details what needs to be accomplished from a data capability perspective, in order to deliver an exceptional customer experience and become a data leader in the industry. At this level, there is a heightened expectation to string together increasingly ambiguous and aspirational needs across the organization into common themes within an actionable data strategy roadmap.
- Builds an effective team to create and maintain the global data strategy roadmap. Guides the planning and sequencing of the team's efforts to build and maintain the data strategy roadmap. Brings team members into discussions at the right level to gain support. Provides coaching and mentoring to maximize the team's impact. As data needs evolve, guides the team to maintain and update the global roadmap accordingly. At this level, there is a heightened expectation for the person to be an exceptional coach and to help the team break down and tackle ambiguous goals within the data strategy roadmap.
- Directs research on emerging data and technology trends. Identifies opportunities to improve the organization's competitiveness through data and technology before the innovation becomes widely adopted by best-in-class competition. Socializes learnings with business partners and data teams to help guide discussion on new data use cases. Uses learnings to evolve the data strategy roadmap.
- Through working with Asset Management, US & E/W Data teams to prioritize data use cases in order to build data capabilities for the organization, builds a multi-year path to a data-driven culture. Gathers the quantified impacts of the data use cases, as forecasted by the business owners. Collaborates with the Agile (project) team that is accountable for sequencing the data use cases with IT and the data teams who are doing the work. Partners with E/W team to pull individual country & regional strategies into a global portfolio view. Sets expectations for the Data Office with stakeholders and ensures voice of customer is driving our path forward. Helps message to stakeholders the appropriate sequencing, investment, and results to improve Data across our organization. This level is expected to have command over quantifying the value of the data strategy roadmap through the alignment of use cases and driven discussions with the business teams.
- Develops, maintains, and enforces a broad governance policy. Stays abreast of emerging trends in regulation and risks to data security. Works with Data Stewards and Product Owners to ensure broad controls are adhered to and the policy develops as our market regulations develop. Partners with the E/W team to ensure that country & regional governance parties are up-to-date and reflected in our broad policy, and we have the right global controls in place.
- Acts as a Change Leader, playing an integral part in evolving the organizations understanding of data by engaging and educating stakeholders on data vision and strategy.
- Has an Agile mindset. As needed, able to partner with or participate within Agile (project) teams, which are working to deliver data solutions. As a global data strategy leader, helps inspire the agile team to drive results by sharing the vision of a global data strategy roadmap.
- Be a compelling storyteller to gain support on the strategy. Understands how to create and deliver presentations to a senior audience. Adeptly socializes ideas and rapidly iterate on feedback to ensure the maximum buy-in and impact of the strategic message.
- Travel may be required up to 25%
- Experience developing and executing global strategy
- Strong ability to develop and maintain relationships with all stakeholders
- Strong ability to influence across team and across functional stakeholders
- Strong written and oral communication skills required.
- Experience in communicating recommendations to senior business leaders preferred.
- BA/BS, or relevant work experience, in Computer Science or related field preferred.
- MBA or advanced degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Engineering, Economics, or other quantitative discipline strongly preferred.
- 10+ years of experience working in coding methodologies and design principles, particularly in open source tools and technology.
- Able to negotiate horizontally and vertically, with a track record of delivering products from ideation to launch.
We value your hard work, integrity and commitment to positive change. In return for your service, its our privilege to offer you benefits and rewards that support your life and well-being. To learn more about our benefit offerings please visit: https://LMI.co/Benefits
At Liberty Mutual, we give motivated, accomplished professionals the opportunity to help us redefine what insurance means; to work for a global leader with a deep sense of humanity and a focus on improving and protecting everyday lives. We create an inspired, collaborative environment, where people can take ownership of their work; push breakthrough ideas; and feel confident that their contributions will be valued and their growth championed.
Were dedicated to doing the right thing for our employees, because we know that their fulfillment and success leads us to great places. Life. Happiness. Innovation. Impact. Advancement. Whatever their pursuit, talented people find their path at Liberty Mutual.
Job: Strategy & Planning
Primary Location: United States-New Hampshire-Exeter
Education Level: Bachelor's Degree (16 years)
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time