Underwriter - Financial Lines
Hallmark Financial Services, Inc. is a diversified specialty property/casualty insurer with offices in Dallas-Fort Worth, San Antonio, Chicago, Los Angeles and Atlanta. Hallmark markets, underwrites and services approximately half a billion dollars annually in commercial and personal insurance premiums in select markets. Hallmark is headquartered in Fort Worth, Texas and its common stock is listed on NASDAQ under the symbol "HALL."
As Hallmark continues to grow, we strive to find talented, innovative and creative professionals to join our team. We offer very competitive compensation and benefit packages combined with a team atmosphere that encourages independent initiative and professional growth.
Position Title: Underwriter
Position Summary: Evaluate, analyze and price risk associated with Financial Lines coverage through distribution from wholesale brokers.
- Determines the acceptability, quality and profitability of new and existing business based on company underwriting guidelines and objectives.
- Develop insurance proposals, prepare policies and endorsements, obtain required underwriting approvals where needed
- Ensure underwriting and service standards are met on assigned accounts
- Travel to conduct broker marketing meetings and attend industry events as determined by management
- Contributes to the development of underwriting staff, marketing plans, product analysis, services, geographic focus and broker intelligence.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with other members of the team to broaden knowledge of the product line and/or technical knowledge of pricing
- Performs related duties as required under Underwriting Guidelines and as requested to include report preparation, presentations, and special projects to assist the excess liability team
Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from a four-year college or university with preferred discipline in business, finance or accounting; or 3-5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrate excellent communication, marketing skills and superior customer service
- Detail oriented with the ability to work in a team environment and be flexible to daily changing needs and job duties
- Working knowledge of Management and or Professional Liability products in the Excess & Surplus lines market, reinsurance, account management, underwriting, and producer management with some additional knowledge and familiarity with insurance operations, finance and actuarial concepts as well as regulatory environment
- Strong writing skills
- Good organization and effective time management
- Self-motivated and independent
- Strong working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, Access and other related software packages