Managing House Counsel Attorney
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Responsible for managing and overseeing the companys House Counsel Office which handles litigation in a particular state or jurisdiction. This includes personnel and performance management, salary planning and administration, training and development and workflow and organizational planning. Ensure operational area is consistent with National General Litigation Philosophy and Litigation Management Guidelines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- Held accountable for the quality of legal services provided to clients and claims customers
- Supervise attorneys and other staff
- Make basic to complex independent decisions and recommendations on all matters which may arise within the context of litigation handling
- Train, develop and provide technical guidance to attorneys, staff and Claims personnel
- Facilitate active and ongoing formal and informal communication with key Claims customers, including claims management, regarding the identification of claims handling trends and issues
- Monitor utilization of the office system software and report on key metrics to ensure desired objectives are obtained
- Handle assigned litigated matters through to disposition, or may assist other attorneys in the office with handling of their assigned matters as requested
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Obtain/Maintain appropriate licensing or educational requirements
- Juris Doctorate (JD) from an accredited US law school
- 15+ years of experience in insurance defense litigation in a law firm or house counsel office in any combination of the following areas: automobile liability claims, Homeowners, no-fault
- Experience in personal lines insurance
- Experience in all phases of litigation (first chair jury trial through verdict)
- Experience conducting discovery, fact and expert witness depositions, motion, trial and appellate practice in state and federal courts
- Knowledge of litigation, arbitration and trial strategies and tactics
- Knowledge of complex medical issues, particularly orthopedic and neurological; understanding of etiology, causation and treatment of injuries consistent with motor vehicle accidents
- Ability to proactively resolve conflicts and empathize with internal and external customers
- Advanced analytical skills with the ability to assimilate complex legal matters and to provide concise, practical advice to non-lawyers
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Strong attention to detail skills
- Strong leadership skills
- Ability to successfully work in a team environment and support team building
- High degree of initiative, mature judgment and discretion
- Strong skills in negotiation
- Proficient in the understanding of insurance law
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Proficient in Westlaw software
- Experience in Legal Files case management software
- Solid understanding of the insurance industry and organizational relationships of the company, including the functions of other departments
About National General Holdings:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
National General is a fast paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial organization. Our team members live by and exemplify what we call the 4Es. At National General, we are Energized, Engaged, Empowered, and we Execute every day in order to provide an exceptional experience for our customers! We are passionate about our organization and the value that we add every day. A successful candidate with National General will embody the 4Es. Our team is poised to outperform the competition. We are National General Insurance and with us you can be extraordinary! Come join our team!
Companies and Partners
Direct General Auto & Life, Personal Express Insurance, Century-National Insurance, ABC Insurance Agencies, NatGen Preferred, NatGen Premier, Seattle Specialty, National General Lender Services, ARS, RAC Insurance Partners, Mountain Valley Indemnity, New Jersey Skylands, Adirondack Insurance Exchange, VelaPoint, Quotit, HealthCompare, AHCP, NHIC, Healthcare Solutions Team, North Star Marketing, Euro Accident.
In addition to a phenomenal career opportunity, National General Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
Life and Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
401k w/ Company Match
Company Paid Holidays & Generous Time-off policy
Employee Discount Program
Career Advancement and Development Opportunities
On-site Healthcare Clinic (Winston-Salem and Cleveland offices)
On-site Fitness Center (Cleveland and Dallas offices)
Subsidized parking (Cleveland office)
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.