- Career Level
- Not Specified
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- Compiles and prepares external and internal financial data.
- Reviews accounting issues and procedures and makes recommendations regarding the implementation of accounting policies.
- Participates in the identification and development of analytical tools and reports to meet the needs of management.
- Works with internal auditors, insurance examiners, and external auditors to answer questions and provide backup.
- Maintains journals or subsidiary ledgers. Analyzes and reconciles accounts; researches cause of discrepancies and takes action to ensure accounts are balanced.
- Reviews, prepares and maintains standard accounting journal entries requiring some calculation of entries.
- Other duties include:
- Cash and investment accounting
- Account reconciliations
- Stop payments/reissues
- Cash flows
- Bank follow-up items - positive pay
- Statutory reporting
- Statutory deposit follow-up
- Investment committee meeting material preparation
- Perform audits for the fleet department
- Process the fleet invoices and handle discrepancies
- Provide fleet data and research variances
- Handle recoveries for fleet
- Performs additional duties as requested
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or related business experience, required.
- Several years of prior accounting experience.
- Experience in cash and investments.
- Insurance industries experience a plus.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of statutory accounting principles.
- Demonstrates working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Demonstrates working knowledge of related accounting principles and transactions based on assigned responsibilities.
- Demonstrates effective communication and interaction skills.
- Effective time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to cultivate cross-functional relationships.
- Demonstrates a general understanding of the insurance industry and organizational relationships of the company. Also, demonstrates an understanding of the functions of other departments.
- Demonstrates understanding of mainframe, pc-based, and/or web-based applications.
About National General Holdings:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
National General is a fast paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial organization. Our team members live by and exemplify what we call the 4Es. At National General, we are Energized, Engaged, Empowered, and we Execute every day in order to provide an exceptional experience for our customers! We are passionate about our organization and the value that we add every day. A successful candidate with National General will embody the 4Es. Our team is poised to outperform the competition. We are National General Insurance and with us you can be extraordinary! Come join our team!
Companies and Partners
Direct General Auto & Life, Personal Express Insurance, Century-National Insurance, ABC Insurance Agencies, NatGen Preferred, NatGen Premier, Seattle Specialty, National General Lender Services, ARS, RAC Insurance Partners, Mountain Valley Indemnity, New Jersey Skylands, Adirondack Insurance Exchange, VelaPoint, Quotit, HealthCompare, AHCP, NHIC, Healthcare Solutions Team, North Star Marketing, Euro Accident.
In addition to a phenomenal career opportunity, National General Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
Life and Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
401k w/ Company Match
Company Paid Holidays & Generous Time-off policy
Employee Discount Program
Career Advancement and Development Opportunities
On-site Healthcare Clinic (Winston-Salem and Cleveland offices)
On-site Fitness Center (Cleveland and Dallas offices)
Subsidized parking (Cleveland office)
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.