AmTrust Financial Services
Los Angeles, California
Legal / Compliance
AmTrust is seeking an experienced Workers' Compensation Managing Attorney in Southern California. Our Managing Attorney will be responsible for the day-to-day operations of the in-house defense law firm, which represents policyholders and on behalf of the AmTrust-affiliated insurance companies and managed by AmTrust North America. The job entails the complete oversight of all attorneys in the law firm, the cases on which they are working, the support staff and law firm facilities, as well as the supervision of the daily physical operation of the law firm and the monitoring of all firm functions and procedures.
- Oversee the litigation calendar process. Ensure that MC is following guidelines and procedures and that the TimeMatters (TM) calendar/database is properly maintained.
- Oversee the secretarial staff, including workload issues.
- Provide technical assistance to the law firm and claims staff regarding investigation, compensability, damages assessment, legal issues, negotiations, settlements, pleadings, discovery and court strategy.
- Review and editing of substantive documents drafted by Attorneys, as well as constant conferencing of litigated matters.
- Participate in committee meetings and conferences with the claims staff.
- Develop department procedural guidelines, prepare, and update the law firm, managing clerk and secretarial guidelines.
- Review files using diary reports submitted by legal staff.
- Review reports by Attorneys - initial case evaluations, initial discovery disclosure, depositions and (pre-) trial reports.
- Mentor and provide training to Attorneys.
- Upkeep of library (Law Journal, Jury Verdict Reporters, etc.), expert databases and research files.
- Upkeep of shared legal drive as to all forms (pleadings, discovery, motions, etc.).
- Interview applicants for all law firm positions.
- Ensure attorney compliance with diary and reporting procedures.
- Must monitor weekly attorney and firm pending caseloads to ensure that levels are within accepted parameters for caseloads and advise on need for additional counsel or staff.
- Upon assigning matters to handling attorneys, ensure that conflict of interest searches are undertaken through the calendaring program.
- Ensure that all attorneys are Licensed and in good standing to practice law in the state where employed and current with CLE requirements.
Review and assign cases to in-house attorneys based upon guidelines for assignment and provided specific guidance, where necessary.
Conduct all phases of the litigation of assigned cases, including:
- preparation of pleadings;
- all phases of discovery, including depositions;
- attendance at all court appearances, conferences, depositions, and alternative dispute resolution;
- research and motion practice; and,
- Trial preparation and active trial participation.
- Evaluate files to determine compensability and extent of damages alleged;
- Hire and prepare the necessary experts to assist in investigation and provide testimony at time of trial.
- Engage in procedural and substantive motion practice on a timely basis to protect the interests of the insured;
- Responsible for reporting all relevant events to the assigned adjuster, and depending upon the issue, to the adjusters supervisor, manager, and claims executives. Ensure that the assigned adjuster is provided with copies of all appropriate litigation documents.
- Conference with Attorneys on all higher severity and/or complexity cases on a regular basis. Conference trial-ready cases and meet with (if applicable, multiple times) and review in detail trial notebook and strategy of any in-house attorney trying a case in advance of trial.
- Managing attorney reports directly to the Vice President, Claims and Litigation Management
- Required to report on pendings, law firm metrics and upcoming significant trials.
- Required to report results for all cases that proceed to trial, all SJ motions and appeals.
- Required to report all complaints, motions for sanctions, default judgments and any punitive relief granted against us, e.g., striking of answer, etc.
Bachelors Degree required
Juris Doctor required
Licensed and in good standing to practice law in the state where employed
Current with CLE requirements
10+ years experience in the Workers Compensation insurance defense environment
Prior field and/or corporate claim management experience with emphasis on line of business expertise a plus
Business skills in risk assessment, planning, problem solving, overall insurance law firm operations
Planning skills to meet both short term and long term departmental objectives
Knowledge of law firm management and the role of Staff Counsel in the claims department
Ability to interact with the Claims and other departments to meet overall corporate objectives
Ability to negotiate a contract
Ability to develop and lead a law firm of active litigators
Overall knowledge of industry environment
Knowledge of TM and other computer-based systems
Effective leadership skill to promote focus on exceeding business goals, superior performance, and employee development
What We Offer
AmTrust Financial Services offers a competitive compensation package and excellent career advancement opportunities. Our benefits include: Medical & Dental Plans, Life Insurance, Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Care, 401k Savings Plans, Paid Vacation and Holidays.
AmTrust Financial Services, Inc. was founded in 1998 to provide property and casualty insurance to small businesses. Through acquisitions and organic growth, AmTrust Financial Services has since grown to become a multinational property and casualty insurer specializing in coverage for small to mid-sized businesses. Our financial stability is based upon a philosophy of niche diversity with a focus on low-hazard risk.
Since its inception, AmTrust has crafted a balanced portfolio of insurance products including:
- Multiline Small Business Insurance
- Warranty and Specialty Risk Insurance
- Specialty Program Business Insurance
In November 2006, the company became publicly traded on the NASDAQ Global Market under the symbol AFSI. With extensive underwriting experience and a prestigious "A" (Excellent) Financial Size "XI" rating from A.M. Best, AmTrust has earned a reputation as an innovative, technology driven provider of insurance products. Our commitment to excellence is the common thread connecting each of our businesses.