Underwriting Policy Lead Consultant
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. Youll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Job Family Summary
The Underwriting Policy Team is responsible for monitoring and ensuring the quality of the book of business through collaboration with internal and external business partners to leverage analytics in developing Countrywide underwriting standards and influence business results through the use of underwriting process and guidelines.
The Underwriting Policy Lead Consultant is responsible for the leading the evaluation efforts of current Underwriting procedures and processes, and will recommend process improvements. The Lead Consultant will also lead the development of new UW procedures and processes. This role will lead the support across AORs ensuring alignment.
Research and Analysis
- Understands and contributes to market share growth and profitability by leading countywide changes to products, underwriting and underwriting process. Supports the engagement of internal and external business partners to provide expertise in their respective discipline
- Supports the execution of underwriting strategies to achieve business unit plan objectives
- Determines the integration and delivery of planned changes/ projects/products to regions/ field
- Advanced knowledge in the use of data sources and applications to conduct research (OLAP/DART, Business Objects, CDF, etc)
- Determines appropriate data needed and analyses to be conducted for projects to make underwriting recommendations to achieve corporate goals
- Understands and articulates market specific implications of business strategies (e.g., impact of local decisions on countrywide results)
- Performs and evaluates trend analysis (e.g., underwriting, competitor analysis, financial) in support of underwriting strategies
- Identifies and resolves underwriting issues (e.g., adverse risk selection trends, recommending new third party data for underwriting decisioning, etc.)
- Leads the partnership with other AORs to ensure alignment
- Reviews and provides peer feedback on analytics developed by others on the team
- Functions as a liaison between business unit and systems or other areas of responsibility
Process and Product Design/Improvement
- Establishes and evaluates underwriting procedures and processes regularly and determines/ recommends alternatives or improvements
- Forecasts short-term and long-term deliverables
- Leads the development/design of new underwriting plans, programs, processes, products (e.g, t-doc handling, inspection process, endorsement standards, correct class programs)
- Creates underwriting project concept designs, addresses feasibility (Cost benefit analysis - financial, operational, and technical), develops requirements and measurement
- Develops communication strategies and materials to support new plans, programs, processes, products
- Solicits and integrates input from key internal and external stakeholders
- Proactively monitors metrics/data to ensure processes are followed and applied consistently. Actively communicates anomalies and recommended actions to appropriate stakeholders
- Adheres to internal and external compliance requirements/standards
- Evaluates where additional resources/expertise may be necessary to successfully complete projects/ assignments
- Provides feedback on project team member(s) that contributes to performance management
- Actively builds strong relationships among teams and team members to ensure cooperation on project objectives
- Communicates knowledge and experience with peers/leadership for process change/improvement
- Education: Bachelors degree or equivalent experience
- Experience: 5+ years industry experience preferred
- Advanced underwriting, product management and general insurance knowledge
- Demonstrates and fosters a sense of urgency, strong commitment and accountability for achieving results
- Excellent Communication Skills with the ability to influence others
- Advanced analytical and problem solving skills
- Advanced knowledge of data retrieval and manipulation
- Effectively network and communicate with different types and levels of staff, both written and verbal
- Serves as a subject matter expert for their respective discipline(s)
- Develop, mentor and coach others
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.