Senior Consultant - Government and Industry Relations, Washington, DC
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Where good people build rewarding careers.
Think that working in the insurance field cant be exciting, rewarding and challenging? Think again. Youll help us reinvent protection and retirement to improve customers lives. Well help you make an impact with our training and mentoring offerings. Here, youll have the opportunity to expand and apply your skills in ways you never thought possible. And youll have fun doing it. Join a company of individuals with hopes, plans and passions, all using and developing our talents for good, at work and in life.
Provides support for the Government and Industry Relations group and business clients. Conducts and analyzes legal research; identifies issues, and drafts/forms conclusion. Conducts initial review and assessment, prepares summaries, and reviews/ revises advocacy materials. Drafts and reviews communications and agreements. Manages projects and handles some matters to conclusion. Provides counsel to business clients on day to day issues. Monitors and reviews new laws, regulations, and case law; identifies and summarizes relevant issues; collaborates with other areas of L&R department; proactively provides advice and counsel to business unit on the impact of new laws on business; monitors outside counsel and consultants.
Government Affairs and Public Policy
- Internal Focus Legislative/Regulatory Involvement
- Issue identification /Position Development
- Prepare position papers
- Identify appropriate legislative/regulatory opportunities and identify Allstate legislative and regulatory priorities
- Consult with business units regarding political and regulatory implications of existing or new programs
- Draft, circulate, and socialize draft bill amongst interested parties (both internal and external) for internal consensus and to determine impact
- Determine communication strategy and distribute reports, etc. to business units, legal, and compliance
- Develop and identify supportive coalition partners related to issue advocacy and lobbying
- External Focus - Trade Association Involvement/ Political Contributions
- Counsel/prepare business clients that are involved in trade association activities
- Work with trade association staff to identify issues of interest to Allstate and determine degree of involvement and visibility of issue
- Review and edit materials, provide comments and recommendations, and provide amendments to trade association staff
- Draft corporate involvement in political arena report
- Internal Focus Legislative/Regulatory Involvement
Other job responsibilities include:
- Advice and Counseling
- Perform due diligence; gather all relevant facts and documents
- Conduct research and determine applicable and pertinent laws, statutes, regulations, rules, and other legal authority; identify legal issues and make strategic recommendations
- Monitor and review new laws, regulations, and case law; identify and summarize relevant issues; Collaborate with other areas of L&R department; Proactively provide advice and counsel to business unit on the impact of new laws on business
- Provide advice and/or legal approval related to company documents, policy, practices, and procedures
- Drafting and Negotiation
- Draft, review, and / or negotiate matters and agreements
- Draft and / or review non-routine correspondence and communications
- Business Knowledge and Acumen
- Gather facts from client to understand strategic goals and objectives client intends to achieve from intended action
- Work with business colleagues to develop and implement change
- Determine if/how business processes / practices need to be modified
- Project Management
- Possesses either a Juris doctorate and an license to practice law in Illinois or Washington DC (and/or other states as required) OR a masters in public policy or masters in business administration preferred
- 2-5 years related experience
- Computer skills, including MS Office suite, used in or related to the tasks performed
- Exercises discretion and maintains confidentiality of sensitive information
- Demonstrates ethics and integrity
- Insurance-industry experience preferred
The candidate(s) offered this position will be required to submit to a background investigation, which includes a drug screen.
Good Work. Good Life. Good Hands.
As a Fortune 100 company and industry leader, we provide a competitive salary but thats just the beginning. Our Total Rewards package also offers benefits like tuition assistance, medical and dental insurance, as well as a robust pension and 401(k). Plus, youll have access to a wide variety of programs to help you balance your work and personal life -- including a generous paid time off policy.
Learn more about life at Allstate. Connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn or watch a video.
Allstate generally does not sponsor individuals for employment-based visas for this position.
Effective July 1, 2014, under Indiana House Enrolled Act (HEA) 1242, it is against public policy of the State of Indiana and a discriminatory practice for an employer to discriminate against a prospective employee on the basis of status as a veteran by refusing to employ an applicant on the basis that they are a veteran of the armed forces of the United States, a member of the Indiana National Guard or a member of a reserve component.
For jobs in San Francisco, please click "here" for information regarding the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.
For jobs in Los Angeles, please click "here" for information regarding the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance.
It is the policy of Allstate to employ the best qualified individuals available for all jobs without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender expression, disability, and citizenship status as a veteran with a disability or veteran of the Vietnam Era.