Claims Service Consultant
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Answer questions pertinent to an existing claim and determine appropriate course of action. Initial loss taking and claim set-up includes but is not limited to: recognizing and opening appropriate exposures based on facts of loss, documenting specific details of loss, selling company programs, validation claim assignment, using judgment and initiative to determine what additional service or assistance is warranted under the particular call and transferring the caller to the appropriate claim representative and/or work group. Responsible for handling new loss reports ranging from severe human trauma to minor accidents/incidents. Responsible for maintaining and growing a relationship between National General Insurance and current policyholders. Also responsible for focusing on the needs of loss participants. Identifies customer needs and works to meet those needs using appropriate customer service skills.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- Successfully completes the Claims Service Consultant Training Program and demonstrates the skills learned.
- For all duties and responsibilities, incumbent will take ownership of any issue, problem, or error that could potentially impact the loss participant.
- Secures new loss reports and loads the loss into the appropriate system. Follow through with clearly identifying expected services that will be offered throughout the claims experience. Learns to identify exposures and properly sets up new loss. Develops familiarity with claims related to all lines of company business. Transfers calls to the appropriate file handler.
- Answers general status inquiries from claimants, insureds, agents, and others. Develops knowledge about the entire claims process to respond to questions and properly route the call.
- Recognizes opportunities to offer tow, make Direct Repair shop recommendations and offer other company programs as necessary.
- May train and mentor less experienced personnel.
- Performs other projects and assignments as directed.
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED).
- Demonstrates working knowledge of the claim system(s)
- Bilingual proficiency (English and Spanish) strongly preferred.
- Demonstrates professional phone etiquette.
- Demonstrates a familiarity with company policies/ procedures.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of departmental organizational structure/function.
- Demonstrates a basic understanding of the insurance industry.
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills
- Associates or Bachelor degree preferred or equivalent related customer service experience.
- Demonstrates an understanding of the units processes, work practices and procedures and their relationship to other functions.
- Ability to resolve conflicts and empathize with customers is critical.
- Requires knowledge of how to perform a variety of duties or how to operate standard equipment:
- type 30 wpm
- Intro to Excel, Word, Outlook
- prior PC experience
- Demonstrates a thorough understanding of the National General Insurance brand and ability to exhibit the behaviors associated with it.
- High degree of initiative, mature judgment, and discretion
About National General Holdings:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
National General is a fast paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial organization. Our team members live by and exemplify what we call the 4Es. At National General, we are Energized, Engaged, Empowered, and we Execute every day in order to provide an exceptional experience for our customers! We are passionate about our organization and the value that we add every day. A successful candidate with National General will embody the 4Es. Our team is poised to outperform the competition. We are National General Insurance and with us you can be extraordinary! Come join our team!
Companies and Partners
Direct General Auto & Life, Personal Express Insurance, Century-National Insurance, ABC Insurance Agencies, NatGen Preferred, NatGen Premier, Seattle Specialty, National General Lender Services, ARS, RAC Insurance Partners, Mountain Valley Indemnity, New Jersey Skylands, Adirondack Insurance Exchange, VelaPoint, Quotit, HealthCompare, AHCP, NHIC, Healthcare Solutions Team, North Star Marketing, Euro Accident.
In addition to a phenomenal career opportunity, National General Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
Life and Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
401k w/ Company Match
Company Paid Holidays & Generous Time-off policy
Employee Discount Program
Career Advancement and Development Opportunities
On-site Healthcare Clinic (Winston-Salem and Cleveland offices)
On-site Fitness Center (Cleveland and Dallas offices)
Subsidized parking (Cleveland office)
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.