Commercial Vehicle Underwriter I
- Career Level
- Not Specified
This position is responsible for evaluation of the Commercial product from an underwriting perspective and utilizing data from PS&S, Pricing, and Marketing to grow the Commercial Auto business profitably. This position will evaluate expectations and underwriting opportunities for non-fleet business and approve or decline submission. This position will have authority to evaluate risks and make underwriting decisions. Exposures outside of the authority for this position will be reviewed with Senior Underwriters or the Underwriting Manager prior to finalizing the decisions.
Responsible for maintaining and growing a relationship between NGIC Insurance, its employees, potential/current policyholders, or claimants
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- Perform risk reviews and upfront underwriting review to determine risk acceptability (new business, renewals, reinstatements)
- Make decisions on risk acceptability or present risk details to Underwriter or Underwriting Manager for decision approval
- Serve as point of contact for Phones and Processing teams on regular exceptions
- Implements agreed upon underwriting procedures to achieve growth and profit objectives
- Involvement with underwriting and processing of new business and renewals, including providing some input into product decisions and procedures
- Implement procedures and guidelines for Commercial Vehicle and make recommendations to Underwriting Manager for changes that will enhance our current book of business and automation of the Commercial Auto product
- Document and Communicates underwriting guidelines, philosophies, and decisions with Pricing, Marketing, Compliance, etc.
- Develop and analyze both internal and external data for assigned business segment(s) and line(s) of business in order to direct pricing, underwriting, and sales decisions.
- Analyze the quality of assigned books of business through agent and profile reviews, audits, and ongoing communication with Pricing, Marketing, and PS&S
- Help to determine actions needed for agent rehabilitation
- Serve as a contact for CV agents
- Assist with Reviews on agent's books of business for book roll opportunities by quoting policies and determined acceptability, pricing, and risk management opportunities
- Train and mentor Processing and Phone teams as new and/or revised procedures are implemented
- Use file review (conducted by themselves or others) to ensure adherence with underwriting guidelines and direction related to assigned business segment(s) and line(s) of business reporting results to Underwriting Manager and making recommendations to improve results
- Develop knowledge of state and laws and regulations applicable to the underwriting of commercial vehicles and act a subject matter expert for both agents and underwriters
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelors Degree or in-lieu of degree equivalent education, training and work-related experience
- 6+ months of commercial underwriting experience
- Ability to establish and maintain agency relationships, identify profitable opportunities, and able to assist in leveraging business opportunities for other divisions
- Professional phone etiquette and interpersonal skills
- Effective leadership and diplomacy skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills
- Negotiation and sales skills
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and timeliness in order to meet customer service expectations
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment meeting aggressive business deadlines
- Ability and desire to learn and effectively use computer based underwriting systems to manage workflow
- Bachelors Degree in a Business related field
- 1+ years insurance underwriting experience in Commercial lines
- Willingness to pursue Insurance professional designations such as IIC, CPCU, AU, and/or ARM
- Thorough knowledge of the Policy Processing systems.
- Ability to effectively prioritize
- Multi-tasking abilities
- In-depth business knowledge
- Effective problem solving skills
- Ability to cultivate cross-functional relationships
Job Requirements -
About National General Holdings:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
National General is a fast paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial organization. Our team members live by and exemplify what we call the 4Es. At National General, we are Energized, Engaged, Empowered, and we Execute every day in order to provide an exceptional experience for our customers! We are passionate about our organization and the value that we add every day. A successful candidate with National General will embody the 4Es. Our team is poised to outperform the competition. We are National General Insurance and with us you can be extraordinary! Come join our team!
Companies and Partners
Direct General Auto & Life, Personal Express Insurance, Century-National Insurance, ABC Insurance Agencies, NatGen Preferred, NatGen Premier, Seattle Specialty, National General Lender Services, ARS, RAC Insurance Partners, Mountain Valley Indemnity, New Jersey Skylands, Adirondack Insurance Exchange, VelaPoint, Quotit, HealthCompare, AHCP, NHIC, Healthcare Solutions Team, North Star Marketing, Euro Accident.
In addition to a phenomenal career opportunity, National General Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
Life and Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
401k w/ Company Match
Company Paid Holidays & Generous Time-off policy
Employee Discount Program
Career Advancement and Development Opportunities
On-site Healthcare Clinic (Winston-Salem and Cleveland offices)
On-site Fitness Center (Cleveland and Dallas offices)
Subsidized parking (Cleveland office)
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.-