Lead Counsel - Litigation
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Assurant, a Fortune 500 company and global provider of risk management solutions, has an immediate need in its growing Litigation Practice Group for a Lead Counsel. This position will be responsible for supervision and direction of nationwide litigation matters. Lead Counsel will be based at either Assurants offices in Miami, FL or Atlanta, GA, and will report to the Vice President of Litigation based in Atlanta, GA.
- Review and analyze incoming lawsuits, regulatory complaints, and other pre-litigation matters.
- Select and supervise outside counsel and coordinate litigation strategy to resolve lawsuits and other disputes expeditiously and economically.
- Travel to and attend mediations, corporate depositions, and significant trials and hearings.
- Represent the company where appropriate in litigation and pre-litigation matters.
- Collaborate with company management and staff to minimize litigation risk and implement policies and procedures to avoid future litigation.
- Interact with and assist the Litigation Practice Group and the Legal Department on other matters and projects as needed.
- Minimum of 10 years of civil litigation experience in a top law firm and/or corporation, including considerable experience in all phases of trial practice.
- Juris Doctorate from ABA accredited law school.
- Licensed to practice law and a member in good standing of at least one state bar, preferably Florida or Georgia.
Preferred Qualifications and Other Requirements
- The ideal candidate will have a significant background in insurance defense and coverage issues.
- Prefer candidates with 1st/2nd chair trial experience at Am Law 200 law firm.
- Stellar academic credentials, sound judgment, excellent communication skills, proven leadership, and track record of success.
- Ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
- Local candidates preferred. No relocation offered.