AmTrust Financial Services
AmTrust is one of the leading writers of Workers Compensation business in the United States. We write a varied portfolio of over $2.7 billion in premium. The Actuary in this role will lead pricing efforts for AmTrusts Workers Compensation book. (S)he will collaborate with underwriters and other actuaries to develop rate indications and pricing strategies for our countrywide book. The person in this position will lead efforts in improving our methods and tools in evaluating, monitoring, and better understanding our Workers Compensation book.Responsibilities
- Lead the calculation of rate indications for each state at least annually. Perform more detailed profitability analysis to recommend strategic options. Present results to Pricing Committee.
- Direct agenda for Pricing Committee. Produce exhibits for Committee to discuss. Produce minutes.
- Monitor results of Pricing Committee decisions and report back as needed.
- Perform peer reviews of large account pricing for underwriters and more junior actuaries. Discuss results and appropriate course of action.
- Perform special profitability studies of segments of the portfolio.
- Collaborate with Predictive Modeling/Data Science team to implement, update, monitor, and improve all predictive tools, including adding new tools.
- Perform or peer review large deductible and assumed excess reinsurance account pricing.
- Perform or peer review Workers Compensation reinsurance commutation analyses.
- Direct research studies into various aspects of our Workers Comp book to further our understanding of the drivers.
- Direct analysis of bureau loss cost changes in order to form opinions on resulting actions we should take and inform Pricing Committee.
- Participate in annual Workers Compensation loss ratio budgeting exercise.
- Participate in annual strategic planning exercises, including defining preferred business segments and segments to de-emphasize.
- Work with Ceded Reinsurance team on all AmTrust ceded re submissions, as needed.
- Lead effort to build or adapt needed tools to perform the tasks necessary for the role.
- Supervise a team of actuaries in the above. Develop, mentor, and train them.
- Special projects, as assigned.
- BS, BA in mathematics, actuarial science or a related field. Higher degree is preferred.
- FCAS or experienced ACAS.
- 5+ years of Actuarial experience in a commercial property-casualty insurance company.
- 3-5 years of experience in pricing of primary and/or reinsurance business is critical.
- Workers Compensation experience is greatly preferred.
- Strong analytical and communication skills are a requirement. Experience communicating with underwriters greatly preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of MS Office, particularly Excel. Knowledge of SQL preferred. Knowledge of NDX, DAX a plus.
- Excellent written communication skills, including correct use of grammar, spelling and punctuation. English required.
- General knowledge of stochastic modeling methods and predictive modeling methods
AmTrust Financial Services, Inc. was founded in 1998 to provide property and casualty insurance to small businesses. Through acquisitions and organic growth, AmTrust Financial Services has since grown to become a multinational property and casualty insurer specializing in coverage for small to mid-sized businesses. Our financial stability is based upon a philosophy of niche diversity with a focus on low-hazard risk.
Since its inception, AmTrust has crafted a balanced portfolio of insurance products including:
- Multiline Small Business Insurance
- Warranty and Specialty Risk Insurance
- Specialty Program Business Insurance
In November 2006, the company became publicly traded on the NASDAQ Global Market under the symbol AFSI. With extensive underwriting experience and a prestigious "A" (Excellent) Financial Size "XI" rating from A.M. Best, AmTrust has earned a reputation as an innovative, technology driven provider of insurance products. Our commitment to excellence is the common thread connecting each of our businesses.