Claims Estimate Writer I
- Career Level
- Not Specified
Responsible for creating an estimate of damages to 1st and 3rd party material damage, by reviewing photos received: via MyClaimPics, from the customer; from Copart Auto Auctions or from a third party vendor. Also responsible for focusing on the needs of loss participants, identifying customer needs, and working to meet those needs using appropriate customer service skills for internal (claims adjusters) and external (policy holders and claimants).
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Following is a summary of the essential functions for this job. Other duties may be performed, both major and minor, which are not mentioned below. Specific activities may change from time to time.
- Learn to handle most aspects of material damage claims with supervision
- Develop a basic understanding of the content of all types of policies written by the company
- Develop a basic understanding of the insurance industry and the organizational relationships of the company
- Learn how to determine subrogation or fraud potential
- Receive claim assignments and documents all appropriate information
- Review photos thoroughly and determines reparability and complete assessment and or, total loss evaluation
- Evaluate settlement alternatives by reviewing regulatory compliance and fair claims practices; makes decisions on best option
- When appropriate, make contact to discuss a settlement; extend an offer to appropriate party; document all file activity and payment/settlement information in file notes clearly outlining basis for settlement
- Complete continued education with both company required courses and additional outside courses
- Take ownership of any issue, problem, or error that could potentially impact the policyholder and or loss participant
- Complete accurate estimates with little supervision up to $2,000
- Handle material damage and fair judgment in repair/replace decisions
Minimum Skills and Competencies:
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelors Degree or in-lieu of degree equivalent education, training and work-related experience
- Estimating experience with an automated estimating system
- Basic knowledge of claims process
- Obtain and Maintain appropriate license and/or educational requirements
- Effective organization and time management skills with the ability to work under pressure and adhere to project deadlines
- Recognize and able to identify all body parts of a vehicle
- Learn to understand other potential property damage exposures
- Develop understanding of claim policies & procedures
- Interpret and apply written coverage accurately
- Must possess effective verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- High degree of initiative, mature judgment, and discretion
- Ability to resolve conflicts and empathize with customers is critical
- Strong negotiation skills
- Successful completion of Estimate Writer training
- Develop a basic understand of the functions of other departments, such as Policy Ops and Marketing
- Adjuster license in your home state or state that requires examination and CE
- I-Car Certification
- Management experience in a repair facility
- Hands on material damage training in a repair facility or training center
- Has a general understanding of insurance law as it relates to claims
About National General Holdings:
National General Holdings Corp. is headquartered in New York City. National General traces its roots to 1939, has a financial strength rating of A (excellent) from A.M. Best, and provides personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, motorcycle, supplemental health, and other niche insurance products. We are a specialty personal lines insurance holding company. Through our subsidiaries, we provide a variety of insurance products, including personal and commercial automobile, homeowners, umbrella, recreational vehicle, supplemental health, lender-placed and other niche insurance products.
National General is a fast paced, dynamic, and entrepreneurial organization. Our team members live by and exemplify what we call the 4Es. At National General, we are Energized, Engaged, Empowered, and we Execute every day in order to provide an exceptional experience for our customers! We are passionate about our organization and the value that we add every day. A successful candidate with National General will embody the 4Es. Our team is poised to outperform the competition. We are National General Insurance and with us you can be extraordinary! Come join our team!
Companies and Partners
Direct General Auto & Life, Personal Express Insurance, Century-National Insurance, ABC Insurance Agencies, NatGen Preferred, NatGen Premier, Seattle Specialty, National General Lender Services, ARS, RAC Insurance Partners, Mountain Valley Indemnity, New Jersey Skylands, Adirondack Insurance Exchange, VelaPoint, Quotit, HealthCompare, AHCP, NHIC, Healthcare Solutions Team, North Star Marketing, Euro Accident.
In addition to a phenomenal career opportunity, National General Insurance offers an excellent benefits package including:
Medical, Dental, Vision benefits
Life and Short/Long Term Disability Insurance
401k w/ Company Match
Company Paid Holidays & Generous Time-off policy
Employee Discount Program
Career Advancement and Development Opportunities
On-site Healthcare Clinic (Winston-Salem and Cleveland offices)
On-site Fitness Center (Cleveland and Dallas offices)
Subsidized parking (Cleveland office)
National General Holdings Corp. is an Equal Opportunity (EO) employer Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment regardless of any characteristic protected by law. Candidates must possess authorization to work in the United States, as it is not our practice to sponsor individuals for work visas.