Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
This position is for a dynamic individual who is looking to begin a career in a fast paced, multifaceted production environment within the Business Insurance Production Operations portfolio. The primary responsibility will be supporting Java based strategic applications. Candidate must have a demonstrated ability in multiple technologies including Java, web service development, Enterprise Java Beans and Oracle Databases. Exposure to configuration-driven and context-sensitive web page presentation, navigation, transaction processing a plus. The candidate must also possess the ability to learn other technologies, including .Net and possibly some mainframe technologies.
The ideal candidate will be a team player who possesses the ability to work in environment where priorities can quickly change. Additionally will be given the opportunity to work in a newly designed collaborative workspace (planned for late 2018) with other team members. Candidate should have a passion for learning and desire to contribute to the success of the team and to the Business Insurance business objectives that the team supports.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Completes Tasks of basic complexity which may include but are not limited to debugging, coding, testing, incident investigation, documentation, application health monitoring and alerting in support of programs of simple to average complexity.
- Maintain collaborative and effective working relationships with a distributed technical teams through daily application support activities including investigation and resolution of issues occurring in the production environment, small enhancements, learning and supporting scheduled application changes along with infrastructure changes and upgrades.
- Work with manager to maintain strong, effective technical and business alliances with strategic business and IT partners working as one team to achieve objectives.
- Actively pursue and drive efficiencies to the production process through sound analytical thinking.
High School diploma or equivalent required. 1 year of programming/development experience required.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Bachelor's degree in a related field preferred. 3 years of programming/development experience preferred.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
Technical Knowledge: Demonstrates intermediate programming/configuration/ analytical, discrepancy, defect, or incident investigation problem solving and resolution skills. Demonstrates an aptitude for learning and applying new programming languages and/or software development disciplines. Continues to develop understanding of the supported business systems. Beginning to develop the ability to recognize and analyze basic incident/defect trends and appropriately escalate. Communication Skills: Ability to communicate thoughts/designs/ideas in an unambiguous manner and adjusts communication based on audience. Exhibits active and effective communication skills with team members - including active listening and effective written and verbal communication skills. Effectively contributes and communicates with the immediate team. Problem Solving & Decision Making: Able to recognize and analyze business and technology problems of intermediate complexity with minimal supervision. Able to leverage previous experience to consider a variety of alternatives to arrive at a timely, practical, and cost-effective solution to resolve defects or incidents. Team Orientation: Ability to foster relationships with peers to achieve objectives. Practices objectivity and openness to others' views. Able to recognize and support team priorities. Planning: Ability to manage time and competing priorities and provide management with accurate and timely status information. Able to effectively evaluate and estimate routine tasks with clear precedent Financial Awareness: Able to understand how the project schedule relates to budget.
Requires weekend work hours. Requires overnight work hours. Requires holiday work hours (Federal and religious). Requires extended periods (1 or more weeks) of travel as needed. Requires travel up to 5% of time.
1-2 years of working knowledge/experience in Java developing or supporting web based applications. Technologies include:
* Service Oriented Architecture
* Object Oriented Programming
* Java, Enterprise Java Beans (EJB3 preferred), Java Script
* Web Services (JAX-WS preferred
* Oracle DBMS
* SQL Server
* DataPower (willing to train)
* IBM Operational Decision Manager-JRULES (willing to train)
* ITIL Practices
Operates standard office equipment. Requires extended periods of computer use. Requires extended periods of sitting.
Licensing or Certificates
Depends on the specific role but some examples may include: ITIL Java certification Microsoft certification.net Kanban/Agile/SAFe
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE