NOTE: Although the below job description is for a Senior Underwriter, we are interested in reviewing candidates at the junior underwriter or underwriter level. The ultimate job title will be based on the qualifications of the selected candidate.
Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Group (MSIG) is one of the world’s top ten property/casualty insurance carriers with over 38,000 employees worldwide. MSIG insures large multinational and domestic companies, and offers comprehensive global insurance programs. Our US subsidiary, Mitsui Sumitomo Marine Management (MSMM), currently has an opportunity available for a Senior Underwriter (General Property) in our New York City office.
PURPOSE SUMMARY: The Sr. Underwriter is responsible to underwrite profitable Commercial Lines business within assigned territory in accordance with Corporate and Field office goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Produces, underwrites and services commercial property risks within the delegated underwriting authority.
- Selects and underwrites the most complex Commercial Lines property risks within delegated underwriting authority. Applies appropriate pricing techniques according to company filings and state/bureau conformance.
- Monitors underwriting results and premium and lost trends within assigned book of business.
- Develops and executes formal written agency plans with all assigned agents in territory.
Client Management 30%
- Establishes and executes effective and efficient producer and client visits (with appropriate business units – Loss Control, Claims and Marketing Representatives) in order to maintain and increase new business.
- Deliver quality service to brokers and customer within established service metrics for new, renewal and interim requests.
- Develop and cultivate new and existing broker and customer relationships nationally.
- Source new business opportunities through a strong broker and client network.
- Coordinates with inter-company departments as well as producers, insureds and Marketing Representatives to ensure appropriate high level account management standards are maintained.
Compliance and Training 10%
- Enhances technical expertise in the area of Commercial Lines property underwriting including assisting in Underwriting Manager in the training and development of Department staff.
- Responsible for helping develop and implement best practices in the areas of Account Management.
- Complies and documents accounts in accordance with regulatory and internal underwriting guidelines
This job has no supervisory responsibilities.
Diploma/Degree & Experience
- High school degree or G.E.D. required. Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university preferred
- 5-7 years of multi-line background required. Existing producer relationships preferred.
- Must have demonstrated negotiation and production skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Proficient with MS Office Suite
Other Qualifications Required:
CPCU or insurance related courses helpful.
Other Skills and Abilities Required:
Position requires 20% same day travel, with some overnight stays.
Competencies: To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following.
Communication, Customer Focus & Teamwork
Job Specific Competencies
Analytical & Problem Solving
New York City, New York
Competitive salary offered - plus 401k and benefits!