Senior Underwriter - Commercial Lines
CIRMA, the Connecticut Interlocal Risk Management Agency, is the leading municipal insurer in Connecticut. CIRMA has grown in financial strength and membership over the past several years. Due to this growth, we have an exciting opportunity in our Underwriting Department.
What do you want for your career?
- An organization where integrity and excellence are valued?
- A place where you can contribute to Connecticut's communities?
- A place of open communication, diversity, and teamwork?
- An organization that is financially strong and committed to the future?
- An organization that recognizes and rewards your contributions?
Our employees' commitment to excellence drives CIRMA's success. We, in turn, are committed to theirs.
As a member of CIRMA’s Underwriting Team you will enjoy the opportunity to fully apply and hone your underwriting and marketing skills using updated technology and strong support to assist in the day-to-day work. The primary responsibilities for this position are related to CIRMA's Workers’ Compensation and Liability-Auto-Property (LAP) pools which include the following:
- Gathers and analyzes information to determine risk acceptability
- Identifies critical exposures and trends and develops strategies to address them
- Assists in the establishment of underwriting guidelines and is a resource for underwriting expertise
- Prices business and utilizes appropriate pricing tools to achieve profit as established by the CIRMA management team
- Integrates internal and external resources
- Coaches and directs on pricing considerations and techniques
- Demonstrates advance coverage and service knowledge
- Initiates new product ideas
- Forecasts marketing/competitive trends and adjusts strategy accordingly
- Acts as key contact for expertise by both internal and external customer
- Integrates market knowledge, technical skill, business acumen to execute advanced negotiation
- Develops and executes strategy for client management process
- Solicits customer feedback and brings resolution to issues
- Demonstrates advanced consultative selling skills
- Demonstrates knowledge of local regulatory issues
- Utilizes CIRMA information systems effectively
- Serves as a point of contact to provide information and communications to members concerning underwriting, pricing and related matters.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- 5 to 8 years of commercial lines underwriting experience preferred
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Experience working in a team environment
- Ability to effectively assess risk
- Superior skills in relationship building, exposure analysis, and negotiating
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Knowledge of public sector is a plus
- CPCU and/or ARM a plus
We recognize that talented people are attracted to companies that provide competitive pay and comprehensive benefits packages. For this reason we offer a comprehensive benefits plan that includes the following:
- 401A without employee contributions
- Medical coverage (free options available)
- Dental coverage
- Paid time-off
- Flexible spending accounts
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision care coverage
- Work/Life resources
- Credit Union membership
- Employee and Dependent life insurance
- Disability insurance
- Accidental death & dismemberment insurance
Please send your resume and cover letter. EOE.