Saint Paul, Minnesota
Solid reputation, passionate people and endless opportunities. That's Travelers. Our superior financial strength and consistent record of strong operating returns mean security for our customers - and opportunities for our employees. You will find Travelers to be full of energy and a workplace in which you truly can make a difference.
Under general supervision, the position is responsible for investigating, evaluating, reserving, negotiating and resolving assigned Specialty Liability related Bodily Injury and Property Damage claims. Provide quality claim handling throughout the claim life cycle (customer contacts, coverage, investigation, evaluation, reserving, negotiation and resolution) including maintaining full compliance with internal and external quality standards and state specific regulations. This job does not manage staff.
Primary Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Timely coverage analysis and communications with insured based on application of policy information, facts or allegations of each case.
- Consults with Unit Manager on use of Claim Coverage Counsel.
- Investigates each claim through prompt contact with appropriate parties such as policyholders, accounts, claimants, law enforcement agencies, witnesses, agents, medical providers and technical experts to determine the extent of liability, damages, and contribution potential.
- Takes necessary statements.
- Identifies resources for specific activities required to properly investigate claims such as Subrogation, Risk Control, nurse consultants, and fire or fraud investigators and to other experts.
- Requests through Unit Manager and coordinate the results of their efforts and findings.
- Verifies the nature and extent of injury or property damage by obtaining and reviewing appropriate records and damages documentation.
- Keeps effective diary management system to ensure that all claims are handled timely.
- At required time intervals, evaluates liability and damages exposure, and establishes proper indemnity and expense reserves.
- Utilizes evaluation documentation tools in accordance with department guidelines.
- Responsible for prompt, cost effective, and proper disposition of all claims within delegated authority.
- Negotiates disposition of claims with insureds and claimants or their representatives.
- Recognizes and implements alternate means of resolution.
- May manage litigated claims.
- Develops litigation plan with staff or panel counsel, track and control legal expenses.
- Assures appropriate resolution.
- Maintains claim files, have an effective diary system, and document claim file activities in accordance with established procedures.
- May attend depositions, mediations, arbitrations, pre-trials, trials and all other legal proceedings, as needed.
- Updates appropriate parties as needed, providing new facts as they become available, and their impact upon the liability analysis and settlement options.
- Recognizes cases based on severity protocols to be referred timely to next level claim professional or Major Case Unit.
- Appropriately deals with information that is considered personal and confidential.
- Fulfills specific service commitments made to certain accounts, as outlined in Special Account Communication (SAC) instructions, and inquiries from agents and brokers.
- Represents the company as a technical resource, attends legal proceedings as needed, act within established professional guidelines as well as applicable state laws.
- Provides quality customer service and ensures file quality.
- Shares accountability with business partners to achieve and sustain quality results.
- Other duties as required.
High School Degree or GED required. In order to perform the essential job functions of this job, acquisition and maintenance of Insurance License(s) may be required to comply with state and Travelers requirements. Generally, license(s) are required to be obtained within three months of starting the job.
Education, Work Experience & Knowledge
Bachelor's Degree preferred. 1- 2 years business experience preferred. Demonstrated knowledge and ability in claims handling. Advanced level knowledge and skill in claims and litigation. Basic working level knowledge and skill in various business line products. Strong negotiation and customer service skills. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Strong keyboard skills and Windows proficiency, including Excel and Word Demonstrated good organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and work independently. Demonstrated strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills including the ability to convey and receive information effectively.
Job Specific & Technical Skills & Competencies
Analytical Thinking- Intermediate Judgment/Decision Making- Intermediate Communication- Intermediate Negotiation- Intermediate Insurance Contract Knowledge- Intermediate Principles of Investigation- Intermediate Value Determination- Intermediate Settlement Techniques- Intermediate Medical Knowledge- Intermediate
Operates standard office equipment - Continuously Sitting (can stand at will) - Continuously Standing - Frequently Lifting items up to 38 pounds - Occasionally Climbing unprotected heights (ladder, rooftop, stairs, loading dock) - Occasionally Use of Keyboards, Sporadic 10-Key - Continuously Working in a confined or restricted area - occasionally Other (List additional requirements as necessary) Incumbents who fill this position will be subject to periodic post-hire criminal background checks while employed in this position. As a condition of acceptance for the position, selected candidates for this position will be required to electronically accept the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) Disclosure Statement and Authorization included in the online employment application. You may also be subsequently asked to accept similar FCRA authorizations periodically throughout your employment with the Company.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Travelers is an equal opportunity employer.
To apply for this position please CLICK HERE