BUILD YOUR FUTURE…WHILE PROTECTING THEIRS.
You will be challenged. Rewarded. And valued for your unique experience, background and perspective.
Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield Insurance, you will quickly learn that protecting our customer’s future by delivering on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild businesses when the unexpected happens is at the heart of what we do. Building relationships and caring about people has been part of our culture since 1848. Be a part of a team that recognizes and appreciates those who take initiative, know how to elevate an idea and can innovate and seek opportunity in a changing world.
Middle Market, Special Risk, and ABD Region Leader Job Summary
Salary Range: $136,448 - $156,916 - $177,383
Responsible and accountable for profit and direct written premium (new business a nd retention) for a geographic region for their department. Provides leadership for an underwriting team, including: building strong underwriting acumen, creating a customer-focused sales culture and overseeing the agency management for their region. This candidate should have a minimum of 3 years experience managing Underwriters.
Essential Functions (primary functions and/or reasons the job exists in order of importance)
1. Accountable for underwriting results and premium growth of respective Middle Market region.
* Establishes region direct written premium projection goals, expense goals, profit targets, and staffing needs; monitors results and takes corrective action as necessary.
* Monitors pricing guidance, predictive modeling compliance standards, retention goals, staffing models, CUO audits, region budget, profit and loss statement, profit by coverage line, agency segmentation results, and account inventory resu lts.
* Assures development and execution of policies, procedures, and standards to produce profitable underwriting results for the region.
* Links region plans to overall Middle Market department objectives.
2. Accountable for building a strong underwriting and sales team utilizing performance management tools and processes. Provides technical counsel and guidance to underwriting staff.
* Carries higher authority limits than underwriters and handles underwriting referrals on new business and renewals.
* Participates in new business and renewal meetings.
* Develops underwriting guidelines for regions and identifies target classes of business and acceptable product mix.
* Secures needed resources and tools to develop staff.
* Ensures right person/right role/right skill sets within region.
* Actively participates in the development of staff.
3. Performs human capital management responsibilities including employee selection, performance management, coaching, and development. Manages priorities and workload distribution, and removes barriers that impede progress. Completes all personnel, salary administration, and reporting duties. Performs operational responsibilities that drive team performance including planning, execution, process improvement and best-practice sharing.
4. Creates a “customer-focused” sales-culture by providing education and using proven sales management techniques (e.g., account inventory, account benchmarking, collaboration, follow-up, sales meetings, relationship building, pipeline tools, packaged/supported goal achievement, relationship building/appropriate visibility, collaboration with sales team).
5. Responsible for agency business planning and agency management for the region (e.g., Agency segmentation, monitoring a gency performance and taking action, partnering with Distribution to identify prospective agencies and/or agency terminations). Assures team is engaged in Agency Segmentation and Trilogy/Horizon activities when appropriate.
6. Responsible for decisions in rate review meetings.
Desired Qualifications/Experience/Certification/Education (in order of importance)
1. 5 or more years of P&C underwriting and sales experience.
2. Demonstrated experience in profitably underwriting complicated, high exposure commercial and/or specialty lines business.
3. Proven ability to effectively train, coach, and mentor direct/indirect reports.
4. Demonstrated experience in developing/executing business plans and/or personnel management.
5. Demonstrated experience developing/managing million dollar budgets with acceptable variances.
6. Proven ability to build and retain strong underwriting and sales teams and to identify learning opportunities.
7. Demonstrated experience in agency management.
8. CPCU, ARM, CIC, CRM, or AU designations OR in the process of attaining one of these designations.
9. Valid driver’s license and a driving record that conforms to company standards.
10. Demonstrated collaboration efforts with peers and other departments resulting in effective decisions.
11. Effective understanding and application of change management skills/tactics.
12. Proficient in analyzing and utilizing analytics.
13. Reinsurance placement experience.
14. Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college OR commensurate experience.
Physical Requirements (specific to the role)
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
* Ability to work effectively in an office environment for 40+ hours per week (including sitting, standing, and working on a computer for extended periods of time).
* Ability to communicate effectively in a collaborative work environment utilizing various technologies such as: telephone, computer, web, voice, teleconferencing, e-mail, etc.
* Ability to travel as required.
* Ability to operate an automobile within the parameters of the driving policy.
* Ability to drive for extended periods of time, under a variety of conditions, including night driving.
This job description describes the general nature and level of work performed in this role. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, skills, responsibilities, knowledge, etc. These may be subject to change and additional functions may be assigned as needed by management.
Westfield offers a Total Rewards prog ram that focuses on compensation, benefits and wellness, and includes perks like 401(k), pension plan, annual incentive, education reimbursement, flex-time, onsite fitness center and casual dress. Work-life balance, recognition, and learning and career development are all part of a rewarding career with Westfield Insurance.
To learn more about Westfield and the opportunities available, please visit us at http://www.westfieldinsurance.com/
We are an equal opportunity employer/minority/female/disability/protected veteran.
Job Summary: Join a team where hard work pays off and original thinking is celebrated. As you build your future at Westfield Insurance, you will quickly learn that protecting our customer’s future by delivering on our promise to help restore lives and rebuild business
Westfield is a great place to work and grow in your career. Our success depends upon the people we employ…individuals who embrace a winning vision of sharing knowledge, building trust and providing support for the team
Westfield provides a broad portfolio of insurance and financial services backed by knowledgeable employees and a network of more than 1,000 professional independent insurance agencies. Westfield operates in 21 states for property and casualty insurance and 31 states for surety. Westfield is one of the nation’s Top 50 Property & Casualty insurance companies, one of the top writers of farm insurance in the country, and the largest writer of contract performance bonds in Ohio.